In a world where breast cancer is becoming one of the most common diseases worldwide and about 13% of women develop breast cancer at some point in their lives. As a person’s lifestyle plays an important role in his/her overall health, it is very important to look into what all you are eating and its effects on your health. Where breasts become one of the most ignored parts of our bodies and only get our attention when something goes downhill with breast health, it is equally important to take a movement and think about the importance of breast health and what lifestyle improvements and changes can be made in order to keep the breast health in check. Here are 5 foods recommended by Dr. Geetika Mittal Gupta, A Delhi-based cosmetologist that you can include in your diet to keep your breast health in check.
Food for breast health
Image Credits- Medical News Today
Let us have a closer look at 5 foods recommended by our expert Dr. Geetika Mittal Gupta that will help you to keep your breast health in check and diseases at bay, along with all the health benefits these food items have.
Since childhood our parents and teachers have stressed enough the importance of consuming green leafy vegetables and their health benefits. Well here we are going to revise all the lessons as kale is one such green leafy vegetable that consists of carotenoid antioxidants, associated with the reduced risk of breast cancer by boosting up the body’s own antioxidant defence.
The antioxidant defense provided by carotenoid is helpful in stopping the free radical damage caused to the DNA which can eventually lead to cancer.
Image Credits- SnapEd connection
It is a cruciferous vegetable that is enriched with the goodness of Vitamins such as vitamin C and K which are very helpful in fighting against prostate and can protect our body from cancers like lung cancer, colon cancer and breast cancer.
Other health benefits of Kale
- Is an excellent source of Vitamin C, K and Iron
- Helps with diabetes as it is rich in antioxidant and fibre content.
- Supports a healthy heart due the presence of potassium in it.
- Aids bone health and formation of bones as it has abundance of phosphorus and calcium which are essential for the formation of healthy bones.
- Reduces the risk of muscular degeneration in old age and plays an important role in maintaining your eye health.
- High in water as well as the fibre content, kale is a vegetable that promotes a healthy digestive tract and keeps problems ;ike constipation at bay.
Delicious, fruity and citrus berries enriched with the goodness of vitamin C are something that is not just a treat for your taste buds but is good for your breast health as well. Berries are loaded with antioxidants such as anthocyanins and flavonoids. These antioxidants are shown to protect against the cellular damage that leads to the spread of cancer cells in the body.
Image Credits- Verival
Consuming berries such as blueberries and strawberries on a regular basis can help you to keep at a distance from many types of cancers including breast cancer, skin cancer, lung cancer, bladder cancer and the one in oesophagus.
Other health benefits of berries
- Helps to improve blood sugar level and the insulin response of the body.
- Helps to lower the cholesterol levels of the body
- Fights inflammation and safeguards your body against infection and injury due to its antioxidant properties.
- Reduces the early signs of aging by controlling the free radical damage and boosting the production of collagen.
- Decreases the calorie intake due to its high fiber and water content which makes you feel fuller for longer.
All the ladies out there, it's high time to add broccoli to your diet plan irrespective of the fact that you like it or not. Broccoli consists of a compound called sulforaphane which has been proven to benefit women with a specific kind of breast cancer. In the past few years broccoli has gained a lot of attention due to its cancer fighting properties, as it has been proven to block the tumour growth. By blocking the growth of tumor, broccoli helps in preventing the further spread of cancer and hence has some anti cancer benefits.
Image Credits- Healthline
Other Health benefits of broccoli
- Helps to control the blood sugar levels due to the presence of fibre and its antioxidant properties.
- Helps to reduce inflammation in body tissues due to the presence of bioactive compounds.
- Protects the skin against the sun damage caused due to the UV radiations and helps to keep issues like skin cancer at bay.
- Prevents bone related disorders and helps in the formation of healthy bones.
- A rich source of calcium and vitamin C, broccoli helps to prevent oral diseases such as periodontitis and periodontal.
A fatty fish which is filled with the goodness of omega-3 fatty acids is proven to be good for your breast health and especially for those who have been battling with chronic diseases such as breast cancer. Not just omega 3 fatty acids but salmon is also enriched with some antioxidant properties which helps in reducing the oxidative damage and reduces the risk of cancer and prevents it from growing further.
Image Credits- The Indian Express
Moreover the presence of selenium in salmon and other fatty fishes may also protect you against cancers such as breast cancer and might be helpful in improving your breast health.
Other health benefits of salmon
- Is a good source of healthy fats such as omega-3 fatty acids.
- Helps in weight loss as its immense portion leads towards the proteins.
- Improves memory retention, boosts brain functioning and reduces the risk of dementia in later stages.
- Helps to lower the blood pressure and cholesterol levels in the body.
- Is a heart healthy food as it helps to reduce the inflammation in the body.
5. Lentils and Beans
Eat your beans and keep breasts healthy. As both lentils and beans are loaded with fiber, they help to protect you against breast cancer and keep your breast health in check. As pulses and beans are a rich source of resistant starch, dietary fiber and phenolic compounds they support the growth of healthy bacteria in your gut. These healthy bacteria or microbes help to protect your body against various kinds of cancer including breast cancer.
Image Credits- Archans's Kitchen
Other Health Benefits of Beans and Lentils
- Helps in the maintenance and repairing of the body as they are a rich source of protein.
- Prevents diabetes by stabilizing the blood glucose level.
- Improves gut health by improving the intestinal barrier function of the digestive tract.
- Promotes a healthy heart and reduces the risk of coronary heart disease.
Read more articles in Healthy Diet