Does Diabetes Cause Tremors? Diabetes can cause tremors, as it is a symptom of low blood sugar levels.
What is Tremor? The tremor could be defined as an automatic action that may range from slight to severe. The commonly affected areas are hands, legs, face, head or vocal cords. Trembling of hands is a common problem, but sometimes this situation becomes inconvenient. The trembling of the hands has many meanings in terms of health. Tremors are associated with a pain in the nervous system, or the patient is very stressed. Also, trembling of hands is common among people who take excessive alcohol or drugs. This condition can be ameliorated by regulating lifestyle or working on exercises. Take care that blood flow is not obstructed. What are the symptoms of Tremor? Symptoms of tremor may include the following:
- Rhythmic shaking of a body part which may consist of the hands, legs, face or vocal cords
- Facing problems in holding things
- Having difficulty in writing
- Having a shaky voice
What are the leading causes behind tremors?
Tremors usually occur when nervous system cells in a person's brain begin to weaken. In some cases, these cells of the nervous system also start to break down or die. Often, the production of the necessary hormones in the body can cause Parkinson's problem even if it is not in the right amount. Lewy Bodies are the accumulation of cells made of proteins that accumulate inside the nervous system. They can also cause tremors. The causes of tremor may be the following:
- Low blood sugar levels
- Traumatic brain injury
- Muscle fatigue
Health experts say that tremors occur more in men than women, especially with more exposure to herbicides and pesticides, the risk of the disease increases.
What are the various types of Tremors?
Tremors can be divided into two parts, namely, resting and action. Resting tremors occur when one is sitting or lying still when the person moves around; it is noticed that the tremor goes away. Resting tremors usually affect the hands and fingers. Action tremors can occur when one moves the affected body part. Action tremors can be further divided into the following subcategories, namely:
- Isometric tremors that occur during the voluntary contraction of a muscle
- A postural tremor that occurs when holding a position against gravity
- An intention tremor that occurs during targeted movement
- Kinetic tremor that occurs during the action of a body part
- Task-specific tremor that occurs during a specific activity
- The person wants to laugh but does not get full support from his face. One of his hands does not generally move during walking.
- When tremors start in a person's body, they do not control some of their emotions in the initial phase. For example, they have difficulty in expressing his feelings with his face.
- Many times this problem starts with only a shiver in hand. The problem is that these symptoms are not taken seriously in our society at an early stage, and gradually the disease takes a dangerous form.
What is the diagnosis and prognosis of tremor?
A physical examination helps in diagnosing a tremor. During the test, the doctor will examine the affected area and be apparent upon visual inspection. The doctor may expect the patient to hold an object to evaluate the severity of the tremor. Urine and blood specimens may be collected to check for medical conditions that may have caused the tremor. Tremors are usually not considered to be a life-threatening condition. While most cases of tremor are mild, it can also be disabling for some. Individuals with tremor may find it challenging to perform daily activities.
What is the treatment of Tremor?
Treatments of tremors may include medications like tranquillizers or anti-seizure drugs. Botox injections may also help with tremors. Physical therapy may help with tremors by strengthening the muscles. However, if the tremor is severe, then a brain stimulation surgery may be needed. Through treatment and some therapies, this disease can be controlled so that you can do all the work of your everyday routine properly. Your doctor may also suggest surgery for any part of your brain. Such suggestions depend on the patient's condition. One may need an operation, while one can only be treated with drugs. We aim to make you aware that when such symptoms appear in the body, instead of ignoring them, get them treated immediately so that the disease does not take a severe form.
Home remedies to stop tremor of hands
Trembling hands and feet with age is also known as Parkinson's disease, but it is dangerous to happen early. First of all, pay attention to your lifestyle and food. Half the problem will be overcome with a balanced diet. Mostly citrus fruits, green leafy vegetables, milk, curd, cheese, butter, lentils, eggs, fish, consume more. They will provide adequate nutrition and strengthen the muscles. If there is a vibration in the hands due to extreme exertion, rest while working. Avoid consuming caffeinated things like tea, coffee, energy drinks, cold drinks. Keep checking sugar level regularly.
- Oil massage: Vibration in the hands also occurs due to muscle weakness. Hence, one must take care of their muscles. Massage with various oils can strengthen them. Eucalyptus oil and rosemary oil are particularly beneficial. As these oils have anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties; hence, its massage relaxes the muscles. Mustard oil massage is helpful during chilly days.
- Anxiety and stress: Do not strain yourself. Take measures to reduce stress. Maintain positive thinking, Chamomile, cloves, and lavender tea help reduce stress. A medicine called valerian is also readily available, and its intake calms the nerves and relaxes them. Under Ayurveda experts' supervision, grind the valerian roots and mix it in water and take it.
- Exercise and yoga: Do muscle-strengthening yoga. Vitamin D strengthens muscles. At the same time, vitamin B also provides relief. It is rich in leafy vegetables, eggs and beans. While sleeping at night, keep the hand's position straight so that the body's weight does not go over it. If the arm is suppressed, then blood flow will be interrupted.
- Soybean milk: Other natural remedies to remove tremors of hands include lemonade and coconut water. Goat milk is very beneficial in this. If goat milk is not available, then add soybean to milk and consume it.
- Natural sleep: Try to get natural sleep. Regularly taking sleeping medications can cause a tremor in the hands. Keep your blood pressure under control. This problem also occurs in low blood pressure.
Here are some FAQs related to tremors answered by Dr Praveen Gupta
- Tremors: When to seek medical advice? If the tremor forbids one from performing daily tasks, then they should call the medical care provider. Besides, if it occurs with other symptoms like headache, weakness, abnormal tongue motion or muscle tightening, one should seek medical advice.
- What is the expected duration of tremor? Tremors go away once the medication is taken, depending on the seriousness of the tremor. However, it may take up to six to twelve months for the tremor to permanently go away.
- How can one prevent tremor? To relieve tremors, one can do the following:
- Make lifestyle changes by focusing on the diet and exercising
- Reduce the consumption of caffeine
- Limit the consumption of alcohol
- Try to relax
(With inputs from Dr Praveen Gupta, Director and Head Neurology, Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurgaon)
Read more articles on Other Diseases
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.