Fennel seeds boiled in milk benefits: Fennel seeds or Saunf are a popular Indian spice used for numerous culinary and medicinal purposes. Fennel seeds add a sweetened flavour and aroma to the food, and hence these seeds are used for cooking throughout the world. Do you know that the dried fennels seeds can be eaten as a mouth freshener or snack (raw after meals)? It is also an essential ingredient of the spice blend called panchpuran used in eastern India. Fennels seeds have an important place in most of the Indian cuisines as well. They are highly effective for eyesight and are regarded as herb of sight by ancient Romans. These are an excellent aid for providing relief from bloating or stomach cramps and facilitating optimal digestion. Fennel is a source of dietary fibre and several nutrients, but it is considered more important for its medicinal value since it is used in small quantities. As a spice and mouth freshener, it can be included in a well-balanced diet, and in the long run, it will contribute towards enhancing health. With the rampant use of pesticides in crops and growth-inducing hormones, most fennel seeds in the supermarket come strapped with harmful chemicals. These chemicals may lead to profound health implications and are not metabolised in the body.
The nutrition profile of fennel (saunf) milk
What happens when fennel seeds are paired with milk? "This results in a concoction that offers numerous health benefits. Below are a few saunf milk benefits and read more to know how its regular consumption benefits your body. Before we probe into saunf milk benefits, you must ensure the best way to consume it. What is the best method to reap the profits? The best way to get saunf milk's benefits is to take a glass of milk, add half a teaspoon of fennel (saunf) seeds to it and boil the mix for some time. Sieve the concoction and consume it hot!" states Mr N. Balasubramanian, CEO of 24 Mantra Organic.
Health Benefits of consuming Saunf Milk
- Fennel milk helps in optimal digestion (a boon for stomach diseases): Due to the oil present in fennel seeds, it helps in indigestion, bloating and constipation, so fennel milk is considered very useful for curing stomach diseases. These seeds contain astragal and anethole, which are considered very effective drugs for stomach ailments such as torsion, pain, and gastric disorder. Fennel seeds effectively reduce acidity and bloating caused due to spicy foods. If you undergo digestive diseases such as constipation and indigestion, consuming fennel milk might alleviate the symptoms.
- Saunf milk helps in weight management: Are you working on a weight management diet plan? Fennel (saunf) milk benefits might come in very handy. Fennel enables you to stay fuller longer, which is a rich fibre source, further preventing you from cravings and overeating. Intake of these seeds also contributes to increasing the body’s metabolism and burn calories even while resting. Eating fennel keeps the appetite under control. So, if you are trying to lose weight should eat a spoon of fennel. In one of the studies, women were fed fennel milk before lunch to reduce calories.
- Fennel milk helps purify the blood and fighting acne: Nutrients such as essential oils and fibre in fennel seeds help flush out toxins from our body, which helps purify the blood. If you are fond of eating, then include such foods in your diet, which will help clean your blood. A research paper issued in the NCBI resolved that fennel's antibacterial properties could help your body keep acne at bay. It provides flawless skin and helps your body purify the blood.
- Fennel milk improves eyesight: If you are struggling with eye problems like low vision or blurred vision, a handful of fennel can prove to be a boon for your sight. Fennel seeds contain vitamin A, which is beneficial for eyesight. Extracts of fennel (saunf) seeds were used to improve cataracts in the past. Regular intake of fennel intensifies eye light. Eating 5 to 6 grams of fennel seed daily can improve liver and eyesight.
- Fennel milk helps fight diseases: The polyphenol antioxidants present in fennel are compounds such as rosmarinic acid, chlorogenic acid, quercetin and apigenin, which have severe effects on health. A study revealed that people who consume a diet rich in antioxidants get more help fighting severe heart disease, obesity, cancer, neuro disorders and type 2 diabetes.
- Improves heart health: Fennels are brimming with fibre, potassium, and magnesium. When combined, these elements are proven to reduce the risk of heart disease that may result from a modern lifestyle. Do you know that fennel (saunf) seeds are also highly effective in lowering the body's cholesterol levels?
- Helps maintain haemoglobin levels in the body: Due to its high fibre and magnesium content, fennel seeds are very useful in maintaining optimal haemoglobin levels in your body. Fibre and magnesium are also proven to help your body to fight health issues like anaemia.
- Fennel milk helps bring a glow on the face: Consuming fennel regularly gives your body minerals such as zinc, calcium and selenium, which help balance hormones and maintain oxygen balance. Its cooling effect on the skin also brings glow on the face.
- Fennel milk keeps cough away: After frying the fennel and eating it with sugar candy, your voice becomes clear. Apart from this, if you are troubled by cough for a long time, it will also help relieve cough. Apart from this, fennel also sharpens your memory.
- Fennel milk is beneficial in reducing asthma symptoms: If you have not heard about fennel milk, you go to Google and read about it. Fennel milk is beneficial for your health as the fennel seeds, and phytonutrients help fight respiratory diseases.
Can you consume fennel (saunf) milk every day?
Aside from these, many other saunf milk benefits can be entailed by merely consuming this healthy beverage every day. You can instantly prepare this drink by only boiling fennel seeds with milk, and reap the various health benefits that saunf (fennel) with milk entails. If you consume milk daily, it is highly suggested that you start adding fennel seeds to the drink to enhance its health benefits and nutrient density.
Can too much fennel milk be harmful?
Fennel (saunf) can also cause side effects if you use it too much. A research study in 2015 found that high amounts of fennel seed oils raised female hormones in mice. It isn't known if fennel seeds affect how much people. Hence, it is possible to be allergic to fennel seeds. Mr N. Balasubramanian shares the side effects of saunf.
- The tightness of chest/chest pain
- Difficulty in breathing
- Vomiting and nausea
- Swollen or itchy skin
- Hives or rash
Takeaway Tip By Mr N. Balasubramanian: The simple way to ensure 100% natural fennel seeds and evade these chemicals is to opt for the organic quality. Do you know how these are produced? These are grown while supporting strict farming guidelines that forbid the use of pesticides and chemicals. How are these crops cultivated? Since organic food crops are grown using sustainable farming practices, their cultivation preserves it for future generations and does not hamper the ecological balance. Hence, when you are in the market for getting fennel seeds or saunf, make sure you opt for the organically cultivated variety.
(With inputs from Namita Nadar, Head Nutritionist, Fortis Hospital Noida)
Read more articles on Healthy diet
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.