Stomach infections occur mostly during the monsoon season because viruses and bacteria are on the rise. Our diet plays a major role in keeping hostile elements at bay which is why we are advised to eat healthy and home-cooked food in monsoon. Some people have weaker immunity which is despite taking all the necessary measures, they get stomach flu or viral gastroenteritis. If you often suffer from upset stomach, vomiting and diarrhea symptoms, you might be suffering from stomach flu. Read tips for prevention in this article.
Symptoms of Stomach Flu or Viral Gastroenteritis
If you exhibit the following symptoms, you may be having gastroenteritis.
- Stomach pain
- Watery diarrhea
You must see a doctor if the symptoms worsen or become unbearable. In mild cases, this condition can be easily countered with some natural remedies.
Home Remedies For Gastroenteritis
Here are some natural home remedies for stomach flu that can help in bringing significant relief to the condition and ease stomach discomfort.
We all know that probiotics are boon for gut health. These restore gut flora and maintain a healthy digestive system. Yogurt is the greatest source of probiotics as it reduces stomach inflammation and increases good bacteria in the stomach. You must eat at least one cup of yogurt daily. Probiotics can also prevent acne.
Organic honey is loaded with antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that allow faster recovery. It soothes the irritated stomach and reduces the troublesome symptoms.
- In a glass of lukewarm water, add one teaspoon honey.
- Drink this solution two times a day.
- If you are also experiencing dehydration, add honey to the ORS solution and consume this drink.
While ripe yellow bananas are eaten commonly, green bananas help treat stomach woes. A green banana has pectin which boosts digestive health. It also speeds up the recovery process. Here is how to consume a green banana for relief.
- Wash a green banana and boil it along with its skin.
- Boil it for 7-10 minutes of low flame.
- Now, peel the skin and mash the boiled banana.
- You can add some salt and pepper for taste and consume.
Turmeric is the best anti-inflammatory food. It has curcumin which is high in antioxidants and provides gastroprotective effects. It helps in stomach flu or viral gastroenteritis condition.
- Warm one glass of milk and add a teaspoon of turmeric powder to it.
- If you are drinking turmeric milk this for the first time, you may add some sugar to neutralize the taste.
Cinnamon is a spice that is commonly used for seasonal infection treatment. It is loaded with antimicrobial, antibacterial and antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Consuming cinnamon would help your stomach recover faster.
You can either consume cinnamon water or cinnamon tea. Here’s how to make it:
- In a pan, add one cup of water and a small cinnamon stick
- Bring this to a boil and then simmer the gas.
- Place lid on the pan and keep it aside.
- After 5 minutes, strain the liquid and drink.
- For a better taste, add honey and lemon juice to it.
Rice water is also a great remedy for stomach flu and is often suggested to treat the condition in kids. This is found to regulate bowel movements, control diarrhea and treat gastroenteritis.
Read More Articles in Home Remedies