Sinusitis And Bronchitis patients should consume natural sources of vitamin Z which work as an antioxidant.
Bronchitis: The problem of bronchitis, sinusitis asthma, COPD, and allergic respiratory is increasing, especially in winters. In metro cities, the population is at its peak with extra smog, smoke and all pollutant released from vehicles on the road. The bronchi or bronchial tubes connect the windpipe with the lungs. "When the branchial ducts become flammable or infected, that condition is called Bronchitis. It reduces air and oxygen flow into the lungs, causing a significant buildup of phlegm and mucus in the airways. Bronchitis is of two types, acute and prolonged. Acute bronchitis is a short-term disease that develops after the viral illness of flu or colds. The symptoms are chest discomfort or pain with mucus, fever and sometimes discomfort in the breath. Acute bronchitis persists for a few days or a few weeks" says Dr Monica Goel, Consultant Physician, P.D Hinduja Hospital & MRC.
Sinusitis: Also, sinus becomes a significant problem in the winter season. Sinus or sinusitis causes issues with the closed nose, face pain, colds etc. Sinus patients have to face a lot of trouble in cold weather. We all have some bones on the face, around the cheeks, nose and forehead, filled with air. These are called sinuses. These bones play an essential role in many functions in our body. Apart from laughing, speaking, these bones' work is also to balance the moisture in the air taken by our breath. It is due to these bones that the weight of our facial part is reduced. Meanwhile, do you know when does sinusitis problems happen? When too much mucus builds up behind your face and inflammation occurs due to infection in these sinuses, it is called 'sinusitis'. Do you know that it also causes these cavities to become swollen or inflamed?
Home remedies for sinusitis and bronchitis for during winters
Apart from the therapy, specific home remedies help patients for bronchitis and sinusitis. Dr Jeason Kolamala John - BAMS (Birla Ayurveda) names a few essential treatments.
- Basil: Consuming raw basil leaves or basil juice on an empty stomach every morning proved to be a beneficial remedy for bronchitis. A little honey or ginger juice can also be added. You can make basil tea by boiling it along with fresh leaves and drink it twice a day. This helps reduce Kapha dosha, thus causing a chest rest. Add 6-7 basil leaves, 6-7 mint leaves, two cloves and a half-inch piece of ginger and boil it. Cook the water for a while and then filter it and let it cool. Drink this water a few times a day.
- Turmeric and milk: A mixture of milk and turmeric also proved to be an adjunct bronchitis treatment. In a glass of milk mix, one spoon of turmeric and then boil it for a few minutes. You can drink it two or three times a day. Turmeric with milk removes mucus from nasal cavities and helps drain your sinuses. It is anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory. It can be given to the patient in its pure form or even in the form of capsules.
- Saltwater: We all use saltwater at home to cure a sore throat. It is beneficial in relieving cough and infection. It removes mucus, which irritates the throat. If you are troubled by a virus or common cough and cold, you should try to consume salt water as much as possible. Sipping warm beverage opens the closed nose. You can resort to hot soup and hot water for this.
- Malabar nut and Giloy juice: Vasaka juice is one of the popular remedies to cure bronchitis. To make it more effective, Sitopaladi can be mixed with powder and honey. Giloy is a popular Ayurvedic herb. It helps relieve the inflamed bronchial lining and thus has a soothing effect on the throat.
- Some cloves of garlic and trikatu: Consumption of garlic helps in enhancing the immunity in the body. It is a beneficial remedy. To prepare this mixture, all you need to do is add four parts powder and one part trikatu and a little honey. Take this mixture twice a day.
- Steam inhalation: Hold your face over a bowl of hot water with some drops of essential oils like eucalyptus, peppermint, etc. It is advisable to do it regularly as it reduces mucus, which has gotten accumulated in the airway tract in the bronchi.
- Consume vitamin C: Sinus patients should take maximum vitamin C during winters. Vitamin C is very beneficial to eliminate the infection present in the body. Along with this, the inflammation in your body can also be reduced with Vitamin C.
- Using Jal Neti Pot: Jal Neti can also help remove the mucus and clean the blockages. Regular practice of this Neti reduces your chances of getting the sinus infection.
- Drinking plenty of fluids: Drinking plenty of water and other liquids can help clear mucus from nasal cavities and help drain from sinuses—boil four glasses of water.
- Ginger and black pepper: Consumption of ginger is therapeutic. It helps in increasing the immunity and is readily available. Ginger can be given to anyone who is down with a sore throat. How to consume? It can be mixed with pure organic honey if the individual does not have diabetes. It can be boiled in water, and the water can be consumed throughout the day as it’s medicinal properties will provide relief. You can make the decoction using black pepper, honey and a little onion juice. Drink it once in the morning.
Takeaway Tip: Apart from the listed remedies having boiled water or warm water is an excellent way to keep the throat clean and clear. Let the source not be too sour. One can consume lemons and oranges.
Also Read: What’s The Best and Worst Sleeping Position
Ayurvedic treatment for bronchitis
According to Ayurveda, bronchitis is also caused by an imbalance of the three doshas. The primary defect related to bronchitis is 'Kapa Dosha', where the watery phlegm forms a thickened mucosa. When the cough accumulates the air passages, the passage becomes narrow and obstructed, and breathing is difficult. This prevents the proper flow of air, which is the Vata dosha and the lungs. If you are experiencing dry cough symptoms and any asthma, then Vata dosha is responsible for it. If you are experiencing moist, productive and consistent mucus in white, then Kapha dosha is responsible for it. If you see a thick and consistent mucus yellow or green colour, Pitta dosha is probably accountable.
Ayurvedic treatment for sinusitis
Sinus is a severe disease! Your nose can be blocked when you have sinusitis, due to which sometimes you have trouble breathing enough. Because of this, you get annoyed, and you are unable to concentrate on any work. Due to this disease, the problem of pain in the eyes and head of the person, pain in the cheeks and eyebrows can also occur. The most challenging thing is that sometimes this problem can persist for 12 weeks.
- In Ayurveda, the aggravation of Kapha dosha is considered the root cause of sinusitis development. The Ayurvedic treatment approach to sinusitis involves a combination of detoxification processes through Panchakarma, herbal oral medicines and decoctions, dietary and lifestyle modifications.
- Panchakarma like Nasyam, Vamanam, Lepanam, Thalam, Shirodhara helps open up the blocked passages in the skull, and facial structures reduce infection risk. Nasya Karma or Nasyam is a unique detoxification therapy for treating sinusitis with successful results.
- During the procedure, medicated oil or powder is administered through the nostrils to clear the Kapha's accumulated sinus passage. The treatment procedure completely removes the mucus and blocks in the sinus passages and prevents the recurrence condition.
- Along with treatment procedure, few diet and lifestyle modifications are instructed to pacify the aggravated. Kapha dosha and rejuvenate the body and prevent the condition's reoccurrence.
Keep these few points in mind, as it will help in the lungs and throat's upkeep this winter.
Read More Articles in Home Remedies
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.