If you are unable to focus or constantly giving up on emotions, here are some essential oils that might help in boosting mental and emotional health.
We are lucky to be living in a world where mental health is being slowly made a priority. A lot of research is now pointing at the staggering co- relation between stress & physical ailments, therefore clearly establishing that taking care of our emotional side is extremely important. Once you have understood the importance of handling these issues for your health, the awareness of your emotional needs sets in on its own. The most important thing to know when it comes to Mental Health is reaching out and asking for help when you need it. And as you do so, also making sure your support group, tribe and family know that you are available to them in times of need.
Did you know that our nervous system functions in two different ways?
- One is the relaxed state (where your body is releasing all the required hormones for it to function at its optimum state), and
- Second being the fight or flight response (which is ideal if you are being chased by a tiger as your body is pumped with cortisol and adrenaline).
Unfortunately our nervous system does not know the difference between being chased by a tiger and being yelled at by our boss. Research states that as human we have more than 50 stress responses in a day. Being in our country we can easily expect atleast double the stressors.
Aromatherapy for mental wellness
For everyday stresses there are a few natural solutions that you can incorporate to help lead a more calm and relaxed life. One such amazing solution is the use of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy.
Essential Oils are fragrant plant extracts that have been used for wellness of the body, mind and soul from way back in time. Aromatherapy has been used as a way to relax, to calm the mind, help reduce stress & anxiety and even to induce restful sleep!
Also Read: Safe Essential Oil for Babies
Listed below are a few Essential Oils that you can use to optimise your mental space.
To help relieve stress & anxiety
- Lavender Essential Oil
- Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
- Eucalyptus Essential Oil
- Orange Essential Oil
- Petitgrain Essential Oil
While using these Essential Oils, try and take a few minute off from whatever you were involved in and take a few deep breaths to soothe your nervous system.
To help focus & concentrate
- Rosemary Essential Oil
- Peppermint Essential Oil
- Spearmint Essential Oil
- Lemongrass Essential Oil
To help induce sleep & relaxation
- Lavender Essential Oil
- Cedarwood Essential Oil
- Vetiver Essential Oil
- Frankincense Essential Oil
Also keep in mind that Essential Oils are multipurpose, these same Essential Oils can be used for many other everyday worries at home. Whichever ones you start off your aromatherapy journey with take your time to connect with the plant and learn about the different ways that you can use it.
Few things you should know
- Fragrance oils aren’t Essential Oils (read labels carefully)
- Essential Oils are high concentrated, use them sparingly and carefully
- When Pregnant skip Essential oil usage, especially in the first trimester
- Always do a patch test, if you are allergic to the plant – you will be allergic to the EO
- Make sure you are using high quality 100% Pure Essential Oils
- Keep Essential Oils away from direct heat and sunlight and they can last over years!
- It’s perfectly fine to be confused when using EO’s the first time, reach out to people to clear your doubts
(With Inputs From Ms. Shubhra Chaturvedi, Co-founder, Meraki Essentials)
Read more in Mind and Body
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.