Trying your best to be safe from the second wave of COVID? Know if double masks can help
Second wave of Coronavirus is raging across the country. The virus is now more transmissible and infectious. The recent events are accentuating the need to not let our guards down, and to follow Corona Appropriate Behavior that includes masking, social distancing, washing of hands and sanitization. In fact, in these tough times, double masking enhances protection from the virus, and cuts down the prospects of transmitting & catching the virus. According to a recent study at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), it is stated that if everyone double-masked, the COVID exposure can be reduced by 96.4%! Can double masks save you from the second wave of COVID? Here's what Dr Kirti Sabnis, Infectious Disease Specialist, Fortis Hospital, Kalyan has to say on this.
Now, you must be thinking what is double masking? When a person wears one mask on top of another mask it is termed as ‘double masking’. The outer mask can create a better seal. The layers of a mask can help increase its filtration, and also provide protection if someone around you sneezes or coughs.
How and when to wear the Double Mask: Consider wearing a double mask when venturing out in crowded places like – airports, bus stands and while using public/ local transportation for traveling to work, etc.
- One cloth mask on top of a surgical mask or two cloth masks, or one cloth mask on a 3ply mask is an ideal combination
- A face shield, along with a mask can be used at extremely crowded places
- If one is using an n95 mask, avoid double masking
- Double masks especially for children are avoidable
Do’s of masking:
Here's what you should do:
- Wash the cloth mask daily in hot water
- Wear mask properly - covering the nose, mouth & the chin
- Avoid sharing masks between family members
- After removing any mask, sanitize your hands thoroughly
- Throw disposable mask in a covered bin
- Change your mask and wear a new one at frequent intervals
- Follow social distancing while wearing a mask
Dont’s of Masking
Here's what you should avoid:
- Don’t put your mask around the neck or chin
- Don’t wear wet masks
- Don’t touch the mask often
- Do not remove mask while speaking
- Do not remove the mask if you have to sneeze
- Don’t put a mask on a child younger than 2yrs of age
Also Read: Know The Don’ts Of Wearing A Mask
Adopt and apply good practices that will safeguard the health of your family and the society and take all necessary precautions to be safe from the COVID wave.
Read more articles on Health News
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.