Immunity is our body's defense system. When we are born our immunity is weak and takes a couple of years to become strong. As we grow old it begins to go weak again. The question is what is happening to our immune system? Our mental and dietary feed decides our blood immunity. It's not that all elderly people land up with weak immunity. It is a result of compromised mental physical and emotional health. What we eat defines physical immunity and what we think defines mental and emotional immunity. Eating a good diet and keeping emotions in balance can help strengthen immunity. Ms. Pallavi Bhardwaj, Health and Lifestyle Coach and the Co-Founder of Save Well Being shared some immunity-boosting tips for the elderly that we have included in this article. If you have elder people at home, make sure you are incorporating all of these points to safeguard their health.
How To Build Immunity In Elders?
With coronavirus lingering around and elders being in the high-risk group, we need to put emphasis on their health and immunity. Immunity tends to get weak as one age because constant wear and tear are not just in the body but also in the environment we live in, people we interact and the life that we have lived. As we grow older it is very important to take care of our mental and physical feed to restore immunity.
Immune System Boosting Tips for Seniors
- Regular exercise is key for good health. Slow and deep breathing not only improves lung function but also helps rationalize our thought process.
- Taking natural probiotics like curd, kanji, and health supplements like spirulina, wheatgrass, etc help to build blood. Eating fresh fruits and vegetables cooked in less salt and oil are good for the digestive system.
- Eating food as per the season is also very important. For example, avoiding cold food in winters, have seasonal fruits and vegetables. Eating meals according to the organ clock is also very important.
- Immunity is closely related to sleep. Poor sleep is the gateway to sickness. Elders may not feel sleepy as compared to young people but they must be asked to take proper rest to naturally strengthen their immune system. Make sure that they are sleeping at least 7 hours a day.
- If they're having trouble sleeping, try limiting screen time for an hour before bed, as phone, TV, and computer may disrupt their circadian rhythm or your body's natural wake-sleep cycle.
- Refined carbs and added sugars may contribute disproportionately to overweight and obesity. Obesity at an elder age is a risk factor for inflammation and chronic health problems like cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, etc.
- The next important point is hydration. It is a prominent factor for immunity. Dehydration causes a lot of complications that weaken immunity over time. Besides, it increases susceptibility to illness. Ask them to drink water, juices, herbal teas, coffee, etc. at regular intervals.
- As a general guideline, you should drink when you're thirsty and stop when you're no longer thirsty. one may need more fluids if one exercise intensely, works outside, or live in a hot climate. It's important to note that older adults begin to lose the urge to drink, as their bodies do not signal thirst adequately. Older adults need to drink regularly even if they do not feel thirsty.
Elderlies can make several lifestyle and dietary changes today to strengthen their immune system. If they are unable to take care of themselves, you must step forward and help them. Healthy elders are a great support to the family. Be their support at their crucial times.
Read More Articles in Mind and Body
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.