Sometimes we do not have answers even for the simplest questions. How much water to drink in a day is one such query that is difficult to answer. We know the importance of water for your body and health. It is one of the basic necessities that we must follow but there is a lot of debate on the adequate amount of water that a person should drink. If you are also eager to know how much water you should drink in a day, read this article.
While there is n formula to determine adequate water intake, it depends on certain factors such as age, physical activity and internal health. For example, the water requirement of an adult would be more than a kid. Similarly, an athlete needs to drink more water than a normal person. There is a notion that everyone should drink 7-8 glasses of water per day. This sounds easy but it is not suitable for everyone. It depends on how much water you lose in urine, sweat, etc. The more is water loss, the higher should be your water intake.
What factors impact the water needs of a person?
These are some factors on which your body’s water requirement depend on:
- Exercise: If you are an athlete or you indulge in excessive physical activities throughout the day which makes you sweat a lot, you need to drink more water. It is important to keep on drinking water the entire day to repair the water loss. If you are involved in hardcore physical activity, you may also opt for a sports drink to replenish electrolyte balance.
- Weather: We know that in summers, we feel more thirsty and therefore, we drink more water. This is because we tend to sweat a lot in the hot & humid weather as compared to winters. This water loss can trigger dehydration and therefore drinking water is very important. However, do not go overboard as it may trigger bloating.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding: Nursing or pregnant women need more fluid than other women.
- Other factors: If you are suffering from diarrhoea, loose motions or vomiting, you may need more water due to the water loss during these health conditions. Additionally, you should also drink ORS solution to fix overall health.
Can water loss be replenished with other drinks?
Certainly, yes. Plain water is not the only source of water. You can have many more healthy fluids along with water. In fact, you should not depend on just water. However, you must also not over-hydrate yourself. Here are some other sources of water that you should consider:
- Drink fresh fruit juices, mainly juicy fruits such as oranges, sweet lime, watermelon, etc.
- There are several vegetables and fruits with high water content. You must eat them on a daily basis.
- Other beverages such as milk, tea, sports drink, etc. are counted amongst fluids. They also fulfill the water intake. However, prevent sugary drinks as they would unnecessarily increase the calories in the body.
If you do not feel thirsty or your urine is light yellow or colourless, it means that your water intake is on point. Just keep the body hydrated and maintain a healthy lifestyle for holistic well-being.
Read More in Miscellaneous