If you get a bruise, you can instantly relieve it through these natural remedies. This article lists out all the natural bruises home remedies.
Bruises are very common and there is nothing to worry about them as they eventually heal with time. However, sometimes you are required to attend to them or else they may leave behind a permanent scar or mark. While children are too casual about bruises, adults hardly have any time to worry about them. Only when these hurt or when they are visible to others, we think about treating them. Nonetheless, you can always treat them at home with some simple remedies.
What causes bruising?
We identify bruises but do you know why these marks are caused? Whenever an injury like cuts, blows and burn happen, discolouration of the skin occurs. This is because due to the injury or incident, the blood vessels situated under the skin burst and the blood is leaked into the tissues which then gets collected. The blue-black mark thus gets visible. This is a natural phenomenon. If it is not a wound, the skin heals on its own after a few weeks.
How to Cure Bruises?
Bruises home remedies are effective in treating subcutaneous bruises. These occur on the top layer of the skin. The two common types of subcutaneous bruising are inflammation and hematoma. Have you ever saw a bruise turning red, blue, purple and then yellow? That is hematoma bruising. These can be cured with some easy and effective natural remedies. Scroll down to know all about them.
Bruises Home Remedies
If you have recently suffered a bruise, keeping an ice pack on it can provide relief and fasten the healing process. Ice helps in reducing inflammation, irritation and calms down the nerves.
- If you have an ice pack, place it in the bruised area.
- Alternatively, wrap a few ice cubes in a cotton cloth and place them on the bruised area.
- You can do this 3-4 times a day.
- Keep the ice pack or cloth moving to prevent freezing of the vein.
Treat Bruise With Heat
Yes, heat can also heal a bruise. A warm compress promotes blood circulation in the area that helps in healing. However, you should do this after a day or two of getting the bruise or after the inflammation subsides. Otherwise, heat would worsen the bruise and may even burn the skin.
- Steadily move a heat pack around the bruised area for 5-10 minutes.
- If you don’t have that, dip a cotton towel in hot water and squeeze out the water.
- Place that on the bruised part for 2-3 minutes.
Essential Oils for Bruises
Essential oils are proven remedies for most skin problems and bruises can also be treated by using some essential oils. The two best essential oils for bruises are tea tree oil and lavender oil. While tea tree oil is antibacterial in nature, lavender oil possesses incredible healing and soothing properties. These can speed up the bruise healing process.
- Take 2-3 drops of either of the two essential oils.
- Mix them with a teaspoon of carrier oil, preferably coconut oil.
- Gently massage this into the bruised skin.
- Essential oils generally generate heat and therefore you should not rub them a lot.
Witch hazel is a powerful Ayurvedic herb that helps in relieving numerous skin problems. It comes in liquid form that can be easily applied to the skin. It has the potential to heal wounds and ease inflammation.
- Using a cotton ball, apply witch hazel on the bruised skin.
- Gently rub it.
Alternatively, you can also add a few drops of witch hazel solution to the bathing water. This is particularly beneficial if you have multiple bruises after an injury.
Arnica is a herb that is effective against cuts and bruises on the skin. It holds amazing medicinal properties that are very helpful in the faster healing of the skin. If you have kids in your home that injure themselves frequently during play, you must keep Arnica oil in your cabinets. This comes in handy in healing minor wounds and bruises.
- Just take some oil on your fingers and gently rub it on the bruised area.
- Do this in circular motions to provide a warm compress.
- The oil would get quickly absorbed into the skin and begin the healing process.
St. John’s Wort Oil
This is another herbal oil that would help in healing the skin faster and banishing the bruise. This is a safe method but you should be aware of the quantity of the oil for use. These oils are generally concentrated and shouldn’t be used in excess. St. John’s Wort oil has astringents and tannins that promote healing of the bruised tissue.
- Just take a few drops of the oil and massage it gently into the skin.
- You can bandage the area or simply leave it. It is upto you.
Epsom salt is used extensively in many home remedies. It also comes effective in treating bruises as it relaxes the muscle tissues. But ensure that you don’t use this oil on open cuts or wounds. The salt may irritate the wound and it may sting you.
- Fill a mug with hot water and add 2-3 tablespoons of Epsom salt to it.
- Give it a good stir and then dip a cotton ball into the water.
- Squeeze out the excess water and then apply the liquid to the bruise.
- Massage it in circular motions.
- The soreness would be relieved in a few minutes.
Using toothpaste on the bruised mark can help in reducing the visibility of the bruise. But why toothpaste? It contains certain ingredients that promote blood flow and break up the clot. Some people have noticed the results in just one day.
- Apply toothpaste on the bruised area and cover the skin with a bandage.
- It is better to do this at night to allow overnight healing.
- Covering the bruise with cloth also prevents staining.
- Wash the toothpaste in the morning.
- You may experience relief in tingling sensation and bruise visibility.
Ginger is a potent ingredient that comes handy in relieving most skin problems. The ginger herb provides a warm effect to the skin. This helps in soothing inflammation and opening the blocked veins. Ginger is anyway associated with healing and this won’t be the first time that it is topically applied for healing.
- Wash ginger to get rid of the dirt but don’t peel off its skin.
- Crush it and place it on the bruised skin.
- Cover it with a cloth or plaster to keep it secure in place.
- If you want quick and better results, do this overnight.
Onion And Garlic
Lastly, we have onion and garlic that possess anti-inflammatory properties and therefore come in handy in relieving inflammation. These promote cell growth and blood flow.
- If you bump into something that may cause swelling and bruise, rub an onion on it.
- You can also crush some garlic cloves and apply them to the bruised area.
- Do this 2-3 times a day to see visible results.
There are so many ways with which you can reduce bruising and prevent bruises from getting prominent. The bruises home remedies mentioned in this article are safe and natural. These won’t cause any side-effect to the skin apart from speeding up the healing process. You can try these without worries.
Read More Articles in Home Remedies
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.