Urinary Tract Infection in Pregnancy is very common. A pregnant woman should be aware of the symptoms of UTI to prevent this condition.
If you are pregnant, you are highly susceptible to urinary tract infection or UTI. Pregnant women need to be more vigilant during their pregnancy to avoid it. As the baby grows inside the womb, the uterus expands that puts pressure on the bladder and ureters. Due to the increased pressure, the urinary tract gets blocked and urine isn’t dried properly. In such a situation, bacteria easily thrive increasing the risk of infection in the urinary tract during pregnancy. This infection can run from the urethra to the bladder and through the ureter and kidneys. Pregnant women need to be aware of the symptoms of UTI in pregnancy and how to prevent this condition.
If you are in the first or second trimester(specifically 6th week to 24th week) you are at a higher risk of suffering from UTI. This is because at this time many changes occur in your urinary tract. In addition, the risk of UTI may increase with increasing age. Let us tell you the symptoms and preventive measures of UTI in pregnancy.
Urinary Tract Infection Symptoms
Here are some symptoms of UTI during pregnancy, which you should not ignore:
- Burning sensation while urinating
- Frequent urination
- Odour in urine
- Painful urination or dysuria
- Small amounts of urine but a strong urge to urinate
- Pain in the lower abdomen and lower back
How to prevent UTI during pregnancy?
You can prevent the risk of UTI during for safe and comfortable pregnancy by adopting some of the methods given below:
- Keep yourself properly hydrated during pregnancy. Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day as it boosts the health of kidneys You can also check how much water to drink in a day here.
- Drink more fluids such as coconut water, fresh fruit juices, etc. You can drink cranberry juice, expert says that cranberry juice can be helpful in preventing UTIs.
- Whenever urination occurs, immediately go for urination. Do not hold your urine for longer as this can do a lot of harm to your health.
- Always clean the vagina from the front to the back with the help of water and tissue after passing urine. Intimate hygiene is a must during pregnancy to ward off the risk of vaginal infections.
- Avoid using public washrooms. If urgent, keep a toilet seat sanitizer with you and always sanitize the seat before using to kill the germs and bacteria.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes.
- Wear cotton underwear or the one with breathable fabric to pass air and prevent dampen panty.
In addition, eat a nutritious diet. In which you eat foods rich in zinc and vitamin C. This will strengthen your immune system and will not prevent any infection or bacteria attack on you. You can include yogurt, strawberries, broccoli, citrus fruits, sprouts, seeds, legumes and eggs, etc. in the diet. Also, you should avoid sugar intake.
If you experience any of the symptoms mentioned in this article, immediately consult your gynaecologist for medical advice. You might be suffering from UTI and timely diagnosis can control the situation. This is not only good for you but also for the baby in the womb.
Read More Articles in Women's Health
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.