Just imagine, we all spend almost half of our day at work if we include preparing to go to work as well. If you are in a typical 9 to 5 job, you might spend almost eight hours a day, five days a week, staring at a computer screen. These 40 hours tend to take a toll on your physical health, and if your job leaves you miserable, then on your mental health as well. With so much to do and deadlines to meet, you might think it is impossible to take care of your health while at work. Well, you might be wrong. There are ways you can invest in your fitness while at work, which in turn will help you improve your productivity too.
Tips To Improve Your Health At Work
- As you spend a large portion of the day sitting at the desk, it is good to get up once in a while. You do not have to do much, just roam around, or stretch, even doing some neck rolls and arms exercises will help. Not only is this good for your physical health, but it also gives a much-needed break to your brain to unwind, relax and reenrgise.
- Pain in the neck, shoulders, and back has become quite common among working professionals. This is especially the case of those you spend a lot of time typing. To cope with it, move your neck often. Just do some neck roles, arms and shoulder exercises. Again, getting up from the desk and moving around will help in this case as well, as it will give your neck, shoulders, and arms a break.
- An increased strain on the eyes is another problem that many experiences. This often leads to headaches, pain in the eyes, difficulty in focusing, and increased sensitivity to light. To prevent and cope with it, take time off-screen. Make sure your computer screen is at least an arm’s length away from you. If you find it difficult to read the letters, increase the font size. Some eye exercises such as palming, blinking and eye rolls might also help.
- It is not that you cannot work out at work. There are simple ways to include that at the office. Just take the stairs instead of the elevator, park your vehicle far from the office building so that you can walk a few more steps more and get up from your desk, and stretch whenever you can.
- Those tasty snacks that your co-workers place at their desks can be heavily tempting. And in case you let your temptation get the better of you, then no one can stop you from consuming those extra calories that might end up as fat on your body. Although you can make your co-workers switch to healthier snacks options, it is much easier to resist the temptation and avoid those snacks.
- It is very important to stay hydrated. The general recommendation is to have at least 6 to 8 glasses of water every day. Hence, keep a track of your water consumption at work. Also, you can have water-rich fruits at work such as oranges and grapes.
- Eating a well-balanced meal, which contains all macronutrients and food groups, is as important at work just like it is at any time of the day. Equally important is to focus on portion control. This is because, at work, you eat and then sit all day. Hence, even if you eat right, you might eat more than you need, which then adds up as fat on your body.
- You might have noticed that while working your caffeine consumption is loads more than when you are not working. Although a cup of coffee might provide you some health benefits, however, overdoing it can make you dehydrated and cranky. Hence, replace your second or third cup with something else. Green tea, decaffeinated tea are some of the options.
- There is another thing that you might ignore, the tens of thousands of germs that might be sitting on your computer’s keyboard and mouse. This can make you sick. Hence, it is good to clean these pieces of equipment with a disinfectant once in a while.
Healthy Snacks You Can Munch During Work
Snacking is something we all do at work, and with loads of work to do, people often snack mindlessly without paying attention to what they are eating and how much. Having healthier snacks not only helps you to limit the number of calories you consume since these are healthy, but they also keep you energised, calm, and hence productive. However, taking out the time to prepare them and exploring options that are portable can be a challenge. Here are some healthy snacks options for you that you can carry to work:
- Apple: Although any fruit is good for your health, apples are more so revered for their health-benefiting properties. These are loaded with fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Since 85% of an apple comprises water, these are low in calories too. To enhance the nutritional value of your snack, you can have some peanut butter along with the apple. This butter is high in protein and healthy fats and makes you feel full for a long time.
- Banana: If you are craving sugar and looking for a healthier option, banana is the snack for you. It is rich in potassium and fiber, and you can have some peanut butter with it to add a dash of protein.
- Dried Fruits & Nuts: Not only are these easy to carry, they are non-perishable and extremely healthy. These contain all the macronutrients and keep you full for long.
- Chickpeas: Chickpeas are another excellent snack option. It is rich in fiber and protein, which makes you feel full for longer, which might also help in managing weight. What you can do is take some chickpeas in a pan, add some ghee to it and roast well. Add some salt, lemon, and seasoning of your choice for taste, and have them either when you are hungry, or when just having the urge to eat something.
- Popcorn: There is no other snack as satisfying as popcorn. These are easy to make, are rich in fiber and low in calories, not to mention they are extremely tasty.
- Yogurt: Having a plane, sugar-free yogurt is another snack you can have at work. It is high in protein, which induces satiety. It also contains lots of calcium, which makes your bones and teeth strong.
- Dark Chocolate: If you are in the mood to indulge in your cravings and looking for a mood enhancer, dark chocolate is the snack for you. Not only is it extremely delicious, but it is healthy too. To add some protein to it, you can top it off with some peanut butter, nuts or have it with yogurt.
Just like physical fitness, it is equally important to take care of your mental health, even during work. You can meditate to de-stress and practice deep breathing to calm your nerves when you find yourself in the middle of a difficult situation. At work or not, it is very important to take care of health for a long and qualitative life.