There are many types of salt but do you know the difference between them or which one of them is better for good health?
Salt is a staple in food that we just cannot do without. A lot of people have to have some amount of salt daily or else they start to feel uneasy. Salt is an essential ingredient that enhances the taste of food, makes it palatable, increases food’s shelf life and neutralizes the bitterness. There is no denying that salt is an essential part of the food. We know that salt contains two elements- sodium(Na) and chloride(Cl). There are many types of salt but the composition remains nearly the same then what makes them different? Which one is healthier? Why do we use different types of salt for different purposes? Get all the answers here.
Health benefits of salt
A human body contains 72% water and the rest 28% is mineral salts and other elements. This shows that after water, salt is one of the most important things that our body needs. Salt balances the fluids in the body for good health. It also brings benefits like managing biological functions including blood pressure, nervous functions and metabolic processes. Other benefits include boosting hydration, maintaining electrolyte balance, preventing cramps, relieving for dental problems, etc.
However, moderation is the key. Consuming excess salt may reverse the processes and cause complications. Processed and packaged foods are high in salt content due to its preservative properties but that is bad for blood pressure.
Table salt or sea salt, which is better and why?
There are so many variants of salt such as table salt(the regular salt that we consume on a daily basis), sea salt, rock salt, black salt, Himalayan salt, etc. We will differentiate between table salt and sea salt to find which is good for health.
This is the most commonly used salt variant that is found in every household. This is made by evaporating salty seawater by subjecting it is extremely high temperatures. In this procedure, the main mineral present in the salt gets destroyed. Also, after evaporation, it is taken for purification to eliminate the contaminants present in it. You get this processed salt to your homes and use. Some anti-caking agents are added to this for better texture. Due to this, the salt gets moist when exposed to air. Iodised salt is a variety of table salt where iodine is added to it for beneficial effects.
Sea salt, on the other hand, is obtained from seawater but prepared with an open-air evaporation process. This makes it healthier and costlier than table salt. Unlike table salt, sea salt is unrefined and contains minerals, algae and marine bacteria that enhance its flavours without harming our health. In some cases, it can be refined to give a shiny white finish by destroying the bacteria and algae.
Which is Better?
Sea salt has a distinct flavour with some trace minerals that are good for health. Despite the composition of both the salts is the same, sea salt is said to be better as it is unrefined and has essential minerals in it. No matter which salt you consume, moderation is important.
Read more articles on Healthy Diet
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.