Children do not necessarily respond to classical pilates because it has to be done very precisely. It requires a lot of attention and mindfulness which is very difficult with kids. But then at the same, once they get disciplined and set a beautiful kind of chain of reaction, this can help them prevent injuries later in life. So, when pilates is introduced to children, it is great to make it very descriptive, to make it fun, lots of comparisons, visualising different shapes & animals, etc. To kinda get that fun side and to get them into that creative mode as well, Pilates needs to be modified for children. You can also put their creativity to use to get into Pilates mode in a fun and engaging way.
- From the standing position, we will go straight down into the frog position.
- Keep your arms into the front and knees aside.
- Try to lift it up so you just go down and up.
- This would look moving like a frog.
- While you are settled in the frog position, you can jump forward and then walk back.
- You’ll look like a jumping frog.
- Repeat this several times.
- When you walk forward just before going into the inverted V.
- Bend your body and form an inverted V with your feet and palms touching the ground.
- Imagine that your head is like the trunk of an elephant. Arms and feet are the legs of the elephant.
- Stay in that position moving your body slightly back and forth.
- Continue the movement into the inverted V and cobra position.
- This form is excellent for spine mobility of children.
- Lie down on the back and we do table-top with flapping hundred into a boat.
- So, we are trying to get up into a boat from the modified hundred.
- From this, we go into all four or an animal pose.
- Now, we go into the knee through pose just moving knees to the opposite elbow.
- Perform criss-cross running.
- Walk a little bit forward like crawling.
- Crawl towards the back and front; back and sideways.
These are basic six movements upon which you can build up whole lots of other stuff. This is meant to get the entire body going. When they become comfortable in these poses and their bodies adapt to the postures, they can be introduced to the advanced level of kids pilates to them. This includes challenges, showing them signs, putting obstacles. In this way, their involvement and interest increases in Pilates and they become more used to doing these.
If you are trying to encourage your child towards exercise and fitness, you should start with these basic pilates moves for kids. These look like fun activities that children can easily indulge in. This would develop an interest in them to take up exercising as a hobby. Besides, you and your kid(s) can practice all these moves together for a fun and fitness-driven session. Without further wait, start doing these with your babies and have a great workout regimen.
Read More Articles in Exercise & Fitness