Our body is the machine which keeps us going in all situations. To keep this machine running smoothly, we need to take care of it. Exercises and workouts are always beneficial for our body and help to maintain our physique. Apart from helping us get fit, exercises can also help in coming over many health problems. Constipation is one such problem which is very common and needs to be taken seriously. Today let us know what exercises can help in relieving constipation.
Also Read: Essential Diet Tips for Constipation
Constipation and Exercise
Constipation is a clutch like feeling which occurs when bowel movement becomes less frequent and stools become difficult to pass. If you feel like you are having problems passing your stool then it can be a symptom of constipation. You can find out what’s happening inside your body by deuce-sleuthing. Constipation can happen due to many reasons, they can be-
- Hormonal Imbalance
- Lack of Exercise
- Not pooping when there is a need of
- Medical condition like IBS
There are many methods which can prevent you from having constipation like drinking more water, eating fibrous food and going for poops whenever you feel like there is a need to. But all these conditions are helpful for longer span of time and cannot help much instantly. What can help you get relief from constipation instantly is exercise.
How Does Exercise Help In Relieving Constipation?
Exercise stimulates your digestive system because it helps food move through your digestive tract more effectively, it can make you stay more regular. When constipation occurs you may feel to curl up in fatal position and clutch your stomach, exercise relaxes those muscles and allows the food to pass quicker than normal. It can not only give relief in constipation it can also cure chronic constipation until it its very serious.
Exercises for Constipation
1) Cardio Exercises
These exercises help in pumping blood and are one of the simplest exercises to avoid constipation. It includes running, cycling, swimming, and dancing and cardio workout. Running and cycling are the best options which are feasible for all the age groups since it is much easier than other. However if you are young then all the cardio workouts can prove to be efficient for you. Brisk walking for 30 minutes can also be effective for people and can help improve digestion.
Practising yoga is a great way of keeping yourself away from constipation. It is not compulsory to perform difficult yoga techniques or postures for constipation, even some normal easy ones can do. Yoga gives a massage to your body and helps the stool move inside the intestines with much more ease. It helps particularly those that involve twisting or crunching of stomach muscles.
There are particularly 3 postures which you can help you relieve constipation instantly-
- Wind-relieving pose- This pose can help you with bloating and gas problems. It also stimulates your bowels and improves the digestion a lot. In this posture you need to lay back with your legs fully extended in front and then slowly raise you right knee up to your chest. Then stretch you knee and let the legs extend in front of you again. Take 20 breadths inhale and exhale and continue this exercise with your left leg also. Once it is done hold both knees close to your chest.
- Seated Twist- This is an easier pose which helps in constipation in you are new to yoga. In this pose you sit on the floor with legs fully stretched in front then slowly bring your left knee up till your feet lies flat on the ground close to your buttocks. Twist your back by putting your right elbow in the opposite direction to the left knee and looking back on your left shoulder. You need to hold this position for 10 seconds and then come back to original seating position.
- Supine Twist- It is also a twisting pose which improves digestion and controls constipation. In this pose lie flat on your back and bring both knees close to your chest then stretch out legs straight. Keeping your shoulders pressed to the floor and moves your left knee across your body to the right and look towards left. Hold in that position for 20 breadths then release. This is bit difficult pose to perform and requires practise but can be very beneficial.
3) Pelvis Floor Exercises
There are layers of muscles present at the bottom of your pelvis which includes bladder and bowel. By working on the pelvic muscles you can build up strength and that muscles will help push stool more easily through colon. These exercises are much easier and can be done my most of the people suffering from constipation issue. Sit comfortably on the floor with your knees apart on shoulder width, and then imagine that you are stopping yourself from passing gas and squeeze those muscles around your anus as tightly as possible. Hold on for five seconds approx and then relax for 10 seconds, repeat it 5 times.
4) Deep Breathing Exercises
Deep breathing exercises are also an alternative to prevent constipation as well as improve your digestive function. It relieves stress which is also a factor for constipation and is much quicker exercising as well as simplest to perform. Sit on a chair with back straight in alignment of your chair and hands resting in your lap. Breathe out through your mouth exhaling completely. Then close our lips and inhale through your nose for 3-4 seconds. Hold in your breath for count of seven seconds. Exhale completely through your mouth for eight seconds this time. Repeat this exercise for 4 times.
Exercises are one of the best ways to control as well as to prevent constipation. It helps in digesting food more easily and relaxes muscles to pass stool properly. Some exercises including yoga can give you instant relief and are very beneficial for people suffering from this problem. However some of them may not be as easy to perform are requires little practice before hand. Cycling, running and brisk walking are some good alternatives for elderly people.
Read More Articles on Exercise & Fitness
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.