An exotic spice known for its sweet aroma and wonderful flavour, nutmeg can do wonders to your health. Rich in antioxidants, nutmeg helps to prevent heart diseases, cancer, liver diseases and delays the signs of aging such as wrinkles and fine lines. Using this flavourful spice is useful in treating anemia, bad breath, helps with digestive issues and provides you with good skin. This delicious spice is known to provide various benefits to your skin such as reducing pigmentation, treating oily skin, promoting youthful glow and is an excellent exfoliator. To solve your beauty woes here we have listed 5 beauty benefits of this aromatic spice and ways to make it a part of your beauty regime.
A skin issue that affects people with increasing age due to environmental factors such as sun exposure, stress and an increase in the levels of melanin in the body. The increased melanin production tends to result in the appearance of dark brown spots on the skin’s surface. The natural anti-inflammatory properties of nutmeg helps in reducing the appearance of pigmentation and dark spots and provides you with an even toned complexion. Here’s how you can use it to reduce pigmentation and get an even toned glow-
- 2 nutmegs
- 1 tsp cumin
- 5 almonds
- 1 tsp orange peel powder
- 2 camphor tablets
- Take a grinder and add in nutmeg, cumin, orange peel powder and camphor tablets to it.
- Grind it well to form a fine powder
- Store this mixture in a glass container
- Take a tablespoon of this mixture and combine it with some curd.
- Apply this paste onto your skin and let it dry
- Wash your face with plain water and dab dry with a soft towel.
#2. Prevents Oily skin
Oily skin is a concern that many people face. This is a condition caused due to an overproduction of sebum from the sebum glands under the skin. Excessive sebum results in clogging the pores that leads to issues such as blemishes, acne, excessive bacterial growth and blackheads. The sweet nutmeg spice consists of both anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. Due to this, nutmeg helps to shrink the large pores that helps to control excessive oil production and prevents acne. Use the given instructions to use nutmeg to prevent oily skin and other issues related to it-
- 2 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp honey
- Take a bowl and add nutmeg powder and honey to it.
- Combine it well and apply a thin layer of this paste onto your skin
- Let it sit onto your skin for 15 minutes and then wash it off with some coldwater.
#3. Fights Acne
Acne is a skin condition caused due to the plugging of hair follicles or dead skin cells with oil that results in tender red bumps filled with pus. Acne comes in many types such as blackheads, whiteheads, pustules, papulas, cysts and nodules. It can be caused due to various conditions such as bad hygiene habits, hormonal changes, medication, stress, pollution and genetics.
Image Credits- Luvey
Also Read: Ubtan For Glowing Skin: Know Why This Desi Facepack Is A Must In Your Skincare Regime
Nutmeg is enriched with antimicrobial and antibacterial properties that fights and prevents the occurrence of acne and provides you with clear skin. Here’s how you can add this flavourful spice into your beauty routine-
- 1 tsp nutmeg powder
- 1 tsp sandalwood powder
- 2 tsp rose water
- Take a bowl and add nutmeg powder and sandalwood powder to it.
- Add in some rose water to this and mix it well.
- With the help of a brush apply a thin layer of this pack onto your face and allow it to dry.
- Clean it with plain water and dab with a soft towel
#4. Delays Signs of Aging
Enriched with anti-aging properties nutmeg helps to improve blood circulation. This helps in delaying the signs of aging such as wrinkles and fine lines by fighting the free radical damage. This inturn helps to reduce the appearance of early signs of aging and provides you with youthful and radiant skin. Try and make this mask on your own to reap the anti-aging benefits of nutmeg-
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon plain yogurt
- Take ground nutmeg, cinnamon, yogurt, honey and lemon juice in a bowl and mix it well.
- Apply this paste onto your skin and neck with the help of your fingers.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes and rinse off.
#5. Deep Exfoliation
Also Read: Longing For A Soft Skin? Make These 3 DIY Body Scrubs At Home
With exfoliation being a hot skin care topic around us, people are turning towards both physical and chemical exfoliators to get rid of dead skin cells and impurities from the skin. You must know that nutmeg is a natural exfoliator that can do wonders to your skin. Its mildly abrasive properties make your skin smooth and soft. Including nutmeg into your beauty regime can help to give you a smooth and glowing skin. Here’s how you can use nutmeg to exfoliate your skin-
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 2 tablespoon of nutmeg powder
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Take a small bowl and add all your ingredients to it.
- Mix everything well and apply a layer of this mix onto your skin.
- Gently rub this onto your skin in circular motion for gentle exfoliation.
- Splash some water onto your face and dry it with a soft towel.
Nutmeg is a spice that is not just beneficial for your health but can do wonders to your skin as well. From reducing blemishes to providing deep exfoliation, including nutmeg into your skin care regime can solve all your beauty woes. Before trying out these beauty recipes make sure you take a patch test to check if you are allergic to any of the ingredients used in them.