According to research published in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, the worse a person has eczema, the greater their chance of fracture
According to a study, the chances of osteoporotic fracture are more in the people suffering from eczema. Scientists compared 526,808 people with atopic eczema to normal people and found that people with eczema had more bone disorders. According to the researchers, problems with fractures in the hip, knee, spine and wrist were found to be higher among the participants with eczema. Let us tell you about this research.
What does Research say?
- According to the research (published in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology), people with atopic eczema are thirteen per cent more likely to get fractures than normal people.
- People with this condition have sixty-six per cent more pelvic bone fractures, fifty per cent more hip fractures than normal people, and double the risk of spinal fractures.
- Co-author Sinéad Langan, Professor of Clinical Epidemiology, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine has also told many more things about eczema in this report.
- Langan emphasized that these risks are still low and can be further reduced.
- However, by going to a stage of eczema, the bones become weak and then the risk of rupture increases.
What is atopic eczema?
- Talking about atopic eczema, it is a condition that makes your skin itchy and red (common in children).
- Inflammation of atopic eczema can be long-lasting and periodically flare up again.
- Talking about the symptoms of atopic eczema, they vary widely from person to person.
Nevertheless, some of their special symptoms may include-
- Reddish-brown patch, especially inside the bend of hands, feet, ankles, wrists, neck, upper chest, eyelids, elbows and knees
- Thick, chapped, crusted skin
- Sensitive, swollen skin
- Atopic eczema often begins before the age of 5 and can persist into adolescence and adulthood.
At the same time, the exact reason behind the osteoporotic fracture in individuals suffering from eczema is not yet clear. However, research has given some reasons behind it, such as:
- People with eczema can have daily allergies, due to which some of them start avoiding the precautions, such as going in the sun and walking outside.
- Dietary changes. Some people believe that certain foods provoke eczema.
Read more articles on Other Diseases
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.