Hot flashes and Night sweats can make you quite uncomfortable and disturb your routine. It might also affect your health and cause different set of problems. Night sweats are common among people of different ages. It happens mostly to adults above the age of 30 years or a woman suffering from menopause period. There are many hormonal changes that occur in a woman’s body at this stage which leads her to menopausal night sweats and hot flashes. In this period, the body feels intense heat at sudden movements especially at night. This condition is also called hyperhidrosis. This problem of night sweats during menopause can be resolved through some lifestyle changes and home remedies.
Sweating during Menopause
Intense sweating is common in woman who face menopause or before the period of reaching menopause. This happens to them in their late 40’s and 50’s. Around 70% of woman in India experience these hot flashes and night sweats when they are about to reach menopausal stage. It can even continue after the menopause has occurred for some more time. Night sweats during this period can cause disruption in sleep and result in severe discomfort during this stage. Your body temperature might fluctuate and you may experience sudden cold, heaviness and then hot flashes. This is quite a natural process of your body adjusting to new process and conditions.
Home Remedies for Menopausal Night Sweats
1. Try to Avoid Triggers that can cause Sweating
There can be certain things that can trigger your body for excessive sweating. It can increase if you are at the stage of menopause. Hence you need to know what causes sweating in your body and how to control or avoid it. Some general conditions that can be result of night sweats during menopause can be-
- Eating spicy food
- Being in warm room or without proper ventilation
- Using heavy blankets or sheets on your bed
- Drinking too much alcohol or caffeine in any form
- Wearing clothes that restrict your body from breathing like tights and skins etc.
- Indulging in stressful activities
- Smoking or inhaling smoke from people sitting with you
2. Lifestyle Changes and Habits
Since your body does not remain same as before, you need to make some changes in your daily routine which can counter heavy sweating at night. This can involve changes in your daily routine and how you peruse a problem. It includes the following habits-
- Make your routine such that you are very calm before going to sleep
- Exercise during the day to decrease stress and restlessness at night
- Wear very light and easy going clothes to stat cooler at night. It also makes your skin breathe during the night properly and avoids sweating.
- Use a bedside fan or place your bed directly below the fan so that your body stays cool and there are less chances of sweating
- Turn your pillow multiple times and keep it in a favourable position according to your height.
- Keep your mood light and have light food in the night to avoid sweating
- Dress in layers so that you can remove some layers before sleeping
Also Read- 5 Home Remedies To Cure Tonsil Stone
3. Add more natural foods and natural supplements to your diet
Food intake becomes very important during this phase where your body is going through hormonal changes. This means that body is working hard to adjust itself according to the changes in the body; hence it needs natural food that can be easily digested and provides energy to the body in fewer amounts of calories. This can prevent you from having heavy sweating during the night and it becomes easier for you to sleep.
Here are some dietary changes you can make to avoid night sweats during menopause period-
- Consume atleast 1 serving of soya per day; this can be taken in any form during the meal. Soya is good for health and helps in decreasing hot flashes causing sweating at night.
- Another beneficial food can be black cohosh. This can be taken in capsule form or as an supplement to avoid night sweating for some period. Black cohosh is used as a temporary treatment for hot flashes as well. Women suffering for intense night sweating during their menopausal period must try this remedy. However consult your doctor before taking it with any medicine.
- Eat more flax seeds; they are high in anti-oxidants that improve blood flow and oxygen in the blood. This helps to improve your circulation and gives your body relief and less stressed. Flax seeds or flaxseed supplements etc can be taken as a remedy to improve your menopausal night sweats.
- Another food product primrose that is a type of food grade oil can be used in making meals to prevent hot flashes and intense sweating from happening. This food grade oil can cause nausea sometimes; hence it should be avoided if you are on medication that is used as blood thinner.
Read More Articles on Home Remedies
Picture Credits- Pexels.com