Home Remedies for Coughing in Toddlers
Coughing in toddlers can be treated with some simple natural home remedies. Some of them given here can be quite effective.
- Give your child a mix of cardamom powder with honey for instant relief.
- Ginger juice with honey is also very effective.
- Warm milk with turmeric soothes the throat.
- Give your toddler enough water throughout the day.
Cold and cough cause a lot of discomfort in toddlers. It is accompanied by runny nose, sore throat often with fever. The toddlers can be very irritated as the normal functions of breathing, eating and sleeping is hampered.
Certain home remedies can provide relief to the coughing toddler:
- Cardamom powder in a spoon of honey is an effective treatment for relieving the cough of toddlers.
- Crushed pepper balls mixed with ghee (clarified butter) can be used as a cough remedy. Feed your child with this mixture twice a day.
- Ginger juice with honey is also an effective method of treating cough in a child.
- Apply saline drops on the nose of the child. It helps to decongest the nasal passage and makes breathing easy. This would naturally give relief from coughing.
- To soothe the throat and loosen the phlegm affecting it, warm milk with turmeric is a great remedy. The problem is that it should be taken without sugar. Try to make your child drink this as it is an effective treatment.
- Extract the juice from half a lemon and add warm water and one tablespoon of honey. Take this solution in the morning for relief from cough.
- Gargling with salt water twice a day is an excellent home remedy for sore throat and cough. Make your child learn this as it gives instant comfort and also improves the condition of the disease.
- Make the toddler drink a lot of water throughout the day. You can perhaps dilute some fruit juices and make the child drink it so that there is more of water intake. Water helps to flush out the toxins from the body.
- Try salt water irrigation. Boil and cool a glass of water. Now, add about one-eighth of a teaspoon of salt in this glass. Drip a few drops of this liquid in both the nostrils. This is very useful for extracting dry mucous from the child’s throat.
- In order to bring down the intensity of the cough, steam vaporiser or warm mist humidifier treatment are very effective treatment. It might be a little difficult to convince a toddler to undertake these but if they do, their condition would improve quickly.
- Make the toddler take plenty of rest so that his system has enough strength to fight the complications of the disease.
However, we would advice you to first check with a doctor about giving these home remedies to your toddler.
Image Source: Getty
Read more articles on Home Remedies for Daily Life.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Feb 23, 2012
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.