Teenagers have to go through a lot of major physical and psychological changes when puberty hits them between the age of 13-18 years. They naturally require more nutrition for their body to accept these physical changes, which means that they should include healthy food items in their diet. The level of physical activity and stage of development of your child helps in determining exactly how much healthy food will they require. However, you will observe that your child has a higher appetite. Both mother and father have to take care of their teen's diet and physical activity schedule. Onlymyhealth editorial team spoke to Ms. Eshanka Wahi, Nutrition Coach and Founder- Eat Clean with Eshanka, about some tips for mothers on pre teen nutrition.
1] How can a mom teach healthy eating habits?
A mother has the power to create habits in their children from the grassroots level of inception from age 0 to 6 when a child grasps information like a sponge. Being patient, leading by example, and making healthy eating and living; following a healthy routine diet a priority.
2] How to help your pre-teen daughter during periods?
1. Communication is the key: The biggest thing a mother tends to avoid is having a detailed conversation about Periods. It can be easily solved if one would simply communicate and confront all the concerns a girl could have. It is visible that the first time you have your periods it scares you, which is normal if the child doesn’t know what it is. Therefore it is better to avoid that situation and educate our young girls about it.
2. Normalize the Period conversation: It is a natural thing that every girl has to go through and it is nothing to be ashamed of. Allow it to be a normal conversation in front of her brothers or father or any male member of the family. It should not feel like a taboo.
3. Take care of her eating and drinking habits: Inform her about why it is important to eat healthy during the menstruation cycle. Help her consume healing foods prior to and during her period. Cut out high hormone foods like dairy and inflammatory foods like gluten to reduce period cramps a few days before her period starts.
3] What are the super foods for pre-teens which a mom can give to their daughters during menstrual cramps?
It is important to eat healthy especially during periods because our body goes through some changes. Since it would be new for Pre-teens it is recommended to include the following Super foods in your daily meal:
1. Oats are rich in fiber and clean slow-carb keeping the gut healed and full for a long period of time Oats are super healthy as they are loaded nutrients and minerals which includes Zinc and Magnesium
2. Salmon is rich in omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin D, and Vitamin B6 that effectively reduce inflammation and relieve cramp pain.
3. Black raisins and saffron help in reducing the menstrual cycle. Simply, let the two ingredients be soaked overnight and consume them on an empty stomach first thing in the morning.
4] Some dos and don'ts of healthy weight loss for teens
- Avoid sugar as much as you can.
- Reduce your screen time
- Physical activity is important. You don’t need to go to Gym for it. By bringing simple changes such as taking the stairs instead of the elevator, will lead to a healthy lifestyle.
- Stay hydrated
5] Please share some expert tips for pre-teens girls
Teenage years can be confusing as we go through a lot of changes not just physically but mentally and socially as well. It is important to take care of yourself. Eat clean, stay active, sleep well and most importantly- listen to your parents.
Read more articles on Healthy diet
Image credits: Raisingchildren