A herniated disk or slipped disk is a serious issue that occurs in the lower back. People with herniated disc do not usually need a surgery and with a few precautions they can work in their daily tasks. Weakness in center of the disk could occur because of soft jelly slipping past the tough exterior. Because of this, it can be very painful and cause a number of health concerns. Exercise such as weight lifting is usually condemned in such cases but there are some soft exercises that can be done in order to tackle the pain and make muscles better. Let us know about some of the safest exercises that you can do in slipped disk.
What are the symptoms of Slipped Disk?
There are some common symptoms that are very evident in the slipped disk. Here are some common issues that most people suffer from in herniated disk-
- Shooting arm pain
- Neck pain
- Back pain
- Tingling sensation and numbness in foot and legs
- Tingling sensation or numbness in one arm
People with herniated disk do not usually require a surgery. Doctors often recommend a physiotherapist in order to treat the symptoms of herniated disc. Exercises can focus on tackling the particular areas of pain and improving symptoms.
Safest Exercises to try in Slipped Disk
1. Neck Stretches
One of the common exercises which are also recommended by doctors in herniated disc is neck stretching exercises. It puts pressure on the nerves present in the neck and helps to tackle pain in the shoulder muscles and pain. For neck stretching you need to do the following-
- Sit in the upright position, on a chair and move the chin towards the chest
- Then get it back towards the headrest of the neck
- Move the left ear towards the left shoulder and then bend it towards your right ear and right shoulder
- Repeat this pattern for several times
2. Hamstring Exercises
Since your legs can also be affected because of slipped disk in the lower spine, hamstring exercises can relieve the pain and strengthen the muscles for better core and back support. You can try the following hamstring stretching exercises-
Seated Chair Stretch
- First sit on the chair with foot on the floor
- Now extend on leg straight with just the heel touching the floor
- Now straighten your back and lean little forwards for your extended leg to get an upright position
- As your feel your hamstring getting pressure, hold in that position for 20-30 seconds
- Now switch the legs and repeat this exercise several times
3. Back Flexion Stretch
Back Flexion exercises are used to relieve pain in the lower back and spine muscles. If you have a herniated disk, then you should consult your doctor before doing this exercise. Also you need to have an expert or physiotherapist so that you do not get yourself into a back injury. To perform a back flexion stretch, you need to do the following-
- Lie on the back straight and spread your legs straight first
- Not pull your knees forward and hold them towards your chest with help of your elbow
- Move the head forward and stretch until there is comfortable stretching position, in the mid and low back
- Repeat this exercise around 8-10 times for pain relief.
4. Knee to Chest Stretch
In knee to chest stretch, you need to work on the muscles on each side of the body. For this you would need help of a physical trainer or physiologist to help you out. It can help you ease the symptoms of herniated disk and ease your movement. Here is how you need to perform this exercise-
- Lie on the back with knees bent and both heels on the floor
- Once you achieve a comfortable position, place both hands behind one of the knee and pull it towards the chest
- Then ease that knee and bring the other knee towards the chest
- Keep switching your legs and repeat this exercise for 10-15 times.
Picture Credits- shutterstock.com