If you want mental, emotional, spiritual and physical health, you should practice 4 Langhanams. Our ancients in India used one very simple principle. They called it Langhanam Paramaushadhm; that is, fasting is the ultimate medicine. Before coming to any conclusion, let's read! During fasting, cooked vegetables, grains or other food items, rotis, bread, biscuits, pasta should not be eaten. Apart from this, tea, milk, yoghurt, ice cream, butter, eggs, meat, fast food, potato chips, greens, peanuts or mixtures would have destroyed the health benefits of fasting.
View this post on Instagram
The first langhanam is fasting food. Our ancients did not see the human body as eating machine, funnily many people in seclusion are engaging in non-stop eating. This kind of eating will only make you sicker and is going to make you more prone to infections. Eat only when your digestive fire burns and asks for it, not when your tongue asks. This will also give some break to whoever is cooking at home.
- Start eating only when your breath is flowing strongly through your right nostril. You can digest what you are eating most tellingly, when your breathing is flowing through your right nose, because of the solar energy flow.
- Practice any fasting, that is, it can be intermittent, water or soup fasting. Remember, even animals fast when they are sick or want to health themselves.
- Langhanam can also be eating right. All immunoglobulins, which are antibodies, to fight diseases, are all proteins. Eating right will mean taking the right amount of protein into your diet to enhance immunity.
Benefits of fasting
It is well known that fasting keeps the body healthy. Fasting is done not just for worship but also for staying healthy. One should fast to avoid diseases. Let's know about the benefits of fasting.
- Fasting can prevent many chronic diseases such as arthritis, asthma, high blood pressure, chronic fatigue, colitis, spastic colon, irritable bowel, paralysis, neuralgia, neurosis, and many other mental illnesses.
- The problem of obesity can be overcome through fasting. There is no better way to lose weight than fasting because it is a safe and immediately effective method.
- Fasting is beneficial for the peace of mind.
- Fasting has positive effects on hormones, kidneys, liver, cardiovascular system, red blood cells etc.
- Fasting makes you feel lighter. But during fasting, water and fluids must be used more.
- Many diseases like constipation, gas, acidity indigestion, headache, fever, are destroyed by fasting.
- Fasting increases the energy level of the body by transmitting it to all its components.
The second langhanam is fasting breath. Just as the more heat an engine produces, the faster it burns out. Every cell is like an engine; the intake of breath is powering that. The ancient yogis practised fasting of breath. The deliberately did slow inhalations and forceful exhalations with breath pauses. When you practice breath fasting, you will age slowly. Your thoughts become to be more positive. You can more easily break away from negative thinking.
The third langhanam is fasting hurtful and pessimistic speech. Very few people have Vak-Shakti or the power of speech to manifest their goals. The more consciously you speak words that are real and cause joys to others in a very pleasing tone, your Vak-Shakti grows.
The final langhanam is fasting movement. It is not about lying down on your cushion, eating popcorn and watching TV. Fasting movement means sitting still, either observing your breath, listening to the sounds of nature, or with the name of your divine, being chanted inwardly. Sit still! Even if you can sit still for 1 minute at a time, it will bring down the restlessness in your mind and body.
Langhanam or fasting is power. Try practising these four langhanams, and you will feel exceptional power in your mind, body and consciousness.
Read more articles on Mind & Body
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.