Here are some home remedies for sunburns with essential oils that are completely natural and safe.
We all love beach holidays. Basking in the sun on the seashore is probably the best therapy to rejuvenate yourself. As the weather is hot and humid, we wear light clothing which allows the sun to do a direct attack. As a result, we get sunburns on the exposed skin. It depends on person to person as for some people, spending a few minutes out in the sun can give severe burn on their skin.
People don’t mind trying out cosmetic products to get immediate relief. But lesser do they know that these may damage their skin further as these have a chemical formula which may worsen the burnt skin condition. Therefore, it is recommended that you opt for natural remedies for a safe and effective cure.
Essential Oils for Sunburns
Essential oils are a blessing to mankind. Some oils are proven to heal the sun-damaged skin in a safe and effective manner. Their natural composition treats the skin while keeping its naturalness intact. These oils have the skin-soothing and cooling properties to relieve sunburn and regain a healthy glow. Also, their antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-fungal properties prevent any skin infection.
Here are 4 best essential oils to treat your sunburnt skin
Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender oil has carminative, antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. This makes it good for treating skin problems like sunburn.
- Add 2-3 drops of lavender oil in pure aloe vera gel and mix them.
- Apply this on the sunburns. This would soothe the skin and relieve irritation.
If the affected skin area is large, then try this remedy:
- In your bathtub, add 8-10 drops of lavender oil and oatmeal.
- Immerse your body in the bathtub. Make sure that the affected areas are fully immersed.
- You’d get relief within a few minutes. Do this daily until your sunburns are treated.
Peppermint Essential Oil
Peppermint has exceptional cooling properties as it has methanol. As you apply this oil on the affected skin, it will treat the inflammation.
- Mix 2-3 drops of peppermint oil in aloe vera gel.
- Apply this mixture on the sunburnt parts.
- This will start the rejuvenation process.
Sandalwood Essential Oil
The cooling properties of sandalwood oil are world known. This treats tanning and bacterial infection on the skin to speed up recovery.
- In a bowl, take coconut oil and add 2-3 drops of sandalwood oil to it.
- You may also add turmeric oil for additional benefits.
- Apply on the sunburn.
Eucalyptus Essential Oil
Eucalyptus oil has amazing pain-relieving and anti-inflammatory properties to aid sunburns. As you apply, this oil would reduce the pain thereby providing relaxation.
- Make a spray with water, aloe vera gel and eucalyptus oil.
- Transfer this in a spray bottle and apply it to the affected part.
Word of Caution
- Sunburnt skin becomes highly sensitive which requires you to deal with it with maximal care.
- Don’t expect the skin to heal immediately after applying essential oils. For natural healing, the skin requires some time.
- Never over apply the product in the hope of quick relief. This would aggravate the skin’s condition.
- If you have sensitive skin, consult your doctor before application.
Read more in Home Remedies
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.