Do you think household work is enough for movement?
Women are multi-talented. This statement needs no proof. A lot of them manage home and office. Many of them prefer to be the household’s lady. Not only women, but many men also find their solace in household work. The good part is that work is well-managed together. The bad part is that people believe that household work is enough exercises, and they do not need any other movement for keeping themselves fit. In the times, when women had to grind their flour at home with the help of chakki when the women had to pain their whole floor daily with mud, cow dung, and water; this may be true. Not now!
Women and household chores
- Mopping of the floor is done by a house help or with the help of a mopper that can be worked on while standing or walking. Flour is ordered. Washing clothes is done with washing machines.
- Machines have saved a lot of labour. Had the house-hold work been an excellent form of exercise, house- wives would have been the fittest beings on this planet.
- Breaking the myth with a fact now, a study from Ireland found that people who reported their housework as part of their weekly exercises tend to be more substantial than the people who opted for weekly activities.
- People tend to exceed the calories that they burn during housework and end up being not healthy. It is also believed that many people tend to snack more while doing the cleaning to compensate for the tiredness as the fridge is right there at the corner of the kitchen.
Let us look at some easy to do exercises for men and women who do not want to hit the gym
- But here is the first and the most important rule. You cannot skip taking out 20 to 30 minutes a day for these exercises. In case you suffer from a particular illness and are not advised to do a specific activity; find an alternative and not an excuse.
- You can begin with 10 to 15 minutes a day to get your body and mind used to physical activity and avoided being extremely tired on day one itself.
- Without equipment, you can go for crunches, push-ups, jumping jacks, mountain climbers, plank, side plank, high knees, leg lifts, donkey kicks, squats, lunges, burpees, run in place, march in place, and a lot more.
- You can put your yoga mat to use and go for Surya namaskars, and your favourite yoga poses.
- Dancing to the tunes of Punjabi songs or great beat songs continuously for 30 minutes would count as a workout!
Conclusion: Dr Jyoti Sharma, Founder of Kaila Homoeopathy states that "so dear men and women who were solely dependent on the house-hold chores for the completion of the physical activity target; wake up now! Stop excusing yourself and being cruel to your body. Find out some time for a different type of actual exercise to be kind to your body, the mind so that you can stay fit in a holistic manner. Remember, as you switch to work-out mode daily; take enough water throughout the day and eat better!"
Read More in Exercise and Fitness
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.