There are many causes of sciatic nerve pain but these five exercises can bring your relief. Do these every day
Sciatic nerve pain is extremely debilitating. Someone who experiences it would know better than us. There are many causes of sciatica and the pain can get triggered at any time. While you cannot cure it all of a sudden, you can work to alleviate the pain by doing some exercises for sciatica. As per experts, stretching with hip movements can bring relief to sciatic nerve pain. Here are five exercises that can ease your condition.
1. Reclining pigeon pose
This is a very common yoga pose that works specifically on the hips. This is an easy pose and best for beginners who are new to sciatica exercises. Here is how to do it:
- Lie down on your back and move your right leg upwards forming a 90-degree angle with the body.
- Behind the thigh, lock your hands and fingers.
- Now lift your left leg and put the ankle of the right leg on the left knee.
- Stay in this position for some seconds.
- Return to the starting position and repeat the same with left leg.
This pose exercises the piriformis muscle whose inflammation trigger sciatic nerve pain.
2. Sitting pigeon pose
Reclining pigeon pose was level 1. After you successfully start doing that without any pain, start sitting pigeon pose.
- Sit with your legs stretched in front.
- Now, bend your right leg slowly and place the ankle on the left knee.
- Bend your body and try to touch your thigh with your chest.
- Stay in the position for 15-20 seconds or until you are comfortable.
- Do the same with the left leg.
This exercise stretches lower back and glutes.
3. Forward pigeon pose
After mastering sitting pigeon pose, move to forward pigeon pose.
- Kneel on the floor with your hands and legs touching the ground.
- Lift your right leg and bring it forward. Keep the lower leg horizontal to the body and touching the ground.
- Ensure that your right knee is on the right side and right foot is near the left knee.
- Stretch the left leg on the behind in such a way the toes are pointing backward and the top of the foot is touching the ground.
- Slowly shift your body weight to the legs.
- Sit up with your back straight.
- Take a deep breath and bend your upper body towards the leg.
Do the same with the other leg.
4. Sitting spinal stretch
This exercise relieves pressure on the sciatica nerve by creating some space in the spine.
- Sit straight with legs extended forward
- Slowly bend your left knee and place the left foot on the ground beside your right knee.
- Place the right elbow on the left knee and carefully turn the body on the left side.
Repeat the same with right leg.
5. Knee to the opposite shoulder
- Lie down on the ground.
- Bend your left leg and hold the position by clasping your hands around the knee.
- Gently, start pulling the left leg up and towards the right shoulder. Do not pressurize the body.
- Return back to the resting position.
Repeat the same with the right leg.
It is time to take over your health and not worry about the pain disrupting your life. Doing these basic exercises can help get relief from the excruciating pain that one can get due to sciatica.
Read more articles on Exercise & Fitness
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.