Monsoon certainly is a refreshing season as it brings respite from the scorching summer heat but not for kids especially newborns and toddlers. For them, this season is risky due to the increased risk of bacterial, viral and fungal diseases. Since their immune system is still in the developing stage, kids are easy targets for monsoon illnesses. From mosquito-borne illnesses to food-borne diseases to fungal infections, a lot can happen to them if they are not taken care of properly. It is advised that you consult your paediatrician if you notice something unusual with your baby’s health. In this article, we have listed down the five most common monsoon infections that babies are prone to suffering from along with tips to prevent them.
Monsoon Illnesses In Babies
This is one of the common infections that both babies and adults get during the rainy season. Viral fever is contagious and if it is not treated on time, it can become severe. Chills, fever, body ache, etc. are some symptoms that your baby has got viral fever.
This is a mosquito-borne illness that is spread when infected mosquito bites a healthy person. Fever is the initial symptom of dengue and it needs to inspect on time or else it might cause severe health complications for the child. This can even turn fatal for your child.
Another mosquito-borne illness that is highly prevalent in monsoon is malaria. This causes high fever, chills and body ache. If you see visible symptoms in your baby, visit a doctor as soon as possible and get the child tested.
Flu or Influenza
Flu is highly common during seasonal change. Influenza is characterised by fever, cough, cold, body pain, runny nose, throat pain, etc. This is caused by influenza virus that is airborne and affects the respiratory system which is why it sometimes causes breathing discomfort in people.
This is a food-borne infection that is caused after consuming contaminated food or water in which Salmonella Typhi bacteria is present. It is very important to feed freshly prepared food to your child to prevent such infections. Gastroenteritis is another stomach infection that is highly common in babies especially during monsoon. Since the digestive system of children is not very strong, it can easily get affected by viruses and bacteria. Loose motions, vomiting, weakness, indigestion, etc. thus become common in them.
How to Prevent Infections In Babies?
Here are some dos and don’ts that you need to follow to keep your baby safe from infections and illnesses during the monsoon.
- First and foremost, feed only fresh food to your babies. Be it milk or fortified foods, make sure everything is freshly made and not exposed to external elements that may affect the nutritional value.
- Make sure that your child is drinking enough water.
- Do not allow the kid to consume outside food especially if you are not sure whether it is prepared in good hygienic conditions.
- Keep the bedding of your child’s bed or cradle clean and sanitised. Change them often to prevent the risk of bacteria or germs on them.
- Do not use chemical-based surface cleaners on areas where your child plays or touches. This increases the risk of infection.
- Teach your toddler to wash hands and clean them with a towel.
- Wash clothes of kids daily using a disinfectant to kill all the possible germs on it.
- Feed them with immunity-boosting foods that help in strengthening their system.
- Give them seasonal fruits to eat as these contain essential nutrients that fortify health in the rainy season.
- If someone in the family is unwell, keep your child away until their symptoms subside.
- Lastly, consult a doctor if you witness any unusual symptoms.
Having a child means having a huge responsibility. During the monsoon season when even adults fail to secure their health, it is extremely important to ensure the health and safety of your baby. Follow the aforesaid tips to keep your child safe and infection-free during monsoon.
Read More Articles in Newborn Care
Inside images source- freepik.com