What do you do to relieve loose motions? Most people pop a pill to get immediate relief without knowing that this won't treat the problem but just stop the course. This is not good for your stomach as the waste is stuck inside and your stomach is unable to flush it out. Medicines are good only if the problem is uncontrollable. Sometimes, loose motions are good for your body as this releases all the unnecessary and toxic content from the body.
Ayurveda and Diarrhea
The main concern in treating a patient suffering from loose motions is to prevent dehydration. Loose motions is one of the first signs of diarrhea. The loss of fluids and salts from the body can cause serious problems if not addressed in time. In severe cases, the patient may be required to be kept on drips. As an immediate Ayurveda remedy, you should give the patient boiled water with a bit of salt, one spoon of glucose and lemon. This drink can also be used for keeping the lips moist in case the patient has vomited after taking food. Give rice gruel instead of plain water.
Ayurvedic Remedies for Treatment of Loose Motions
- Ingest 3 grams of Javitri with whey.
- Mix Ajwain oil, fennel oil, sow oil and camphor in equal proportions. Mix one drop of this mixture with yoghurt or a sugar cube or teaspoon of sugar, mix it with water and drink. This mixture used to be very popular for nausea and vomiting in India.
- Make 300 grams of the mixture with equal proportions of Trikatu, Asafoetida, ginger, nutmeg, black salt and lemon juice.
- Dried peel of pomegranate fruit is also used to make Ayurvedic medicine for loose motions. Take 3 or 4 pieces of the dried peel and mix with 2 cups of water. Boil at medium heat with the mouth covered. You can add 2 cubes of cane sugar or crystals of sugar to it. Keep boiling till the mixture left in the vessel is half. Take this after an hour of having your meal.
- The dried pomegranate peels can also be used with curd. Take 1 tablespoon of this mixture and mix it with a cup of thick curd. It needs to be taken on an empty stomach. Loose motions during pregnancy are normal. Pregnant women can also take these medicines.
- Get powders of 60 grams of Lavanbhasakr Churn, 5 grams of Shankh Bhasam and Safed Jeera, and 3 grams of Lodhra and Sonth. Make 16 equal divisions of this mixture and have one daily with yoghurt.
- In case the loose motions are caused by diarrhoea, take 5 gram haritaki and 1 gram fennel to make a 50 ml decoction. Give the mixture to the patient whenever he feels thirsty. This can be administered for three days.
- For acute cases of loose motions, make a decoction of 200 ml with 100 grams of Rasnaut, 1 gram of Kutaj, 5 grams of Bael, 5 grams of Isabgol and 1 gram of Gond katira. You need to dissolve the ingredients in water and drink it.
- Loose motion tends to dehydrate the body. Along with all the above mentioned ayurvedic remedies for loose motions, make sure to consume enough water and other liquids such as juices. However, steer clear of diuretics like caffeine and soda.
Read more articles on Ayurveda