During pregnancy loose motions are always caused due to some external cause, therefore it must never be taken lightly. If not treated on time it can lead to mal absorption of food and dehydration, both the conditions can adversely affect the developing foetus.
Cause of Loose Motions during Pregnancy
It is very important to know the cause of loose motions during pregnancy. Routine stool examination, abdomen ultrasonography and blood tests can be used to detect cause of loose motion. Loose motions during pregnancy can be caused due to various reasons:
- Antenatal vitamin supplements.
- Growing uterus compressing on the rectum.
- Weak digestive system.
- Consumption of rich foods.
- Infections by bacteria, viruses, or parasites that find their way to body through contaminated food or water.
How Loose Motions can affect you
- Loose motions leave you feeling week and drained out. If not treated on time you may get dehydrated. Loose motions or diarrhoea that continue for two to three days lead to dehydration and risk of still birth In addition it can also induce premature labour pain. To meet up for the loss of fluid you will have to take Intravenous Fluids (IV Fluid). How loose motions can affect your baby
- Loose motions during pregnancy can have adverse effect on the unborn baby. In absence of proper treatment for loose stool during pregnancy, the proportion of salt in your body may go down.
- This decreased salt level can be threat to smooth functioning of your baby’s sensitive organs. If ignored for long, increased salt level can prove to be fatal for the growing baby.
Dealing of Loose Motion during Pregnancy
The best way is to avoid getting infection but if you land up with infection then first try to deal it with the natural ways.
- Make sure that you drink purified water and well cooked food.
- Wash your hands before and after your meals.
- Drink oral rehydration solution at frequent intervals.
- Indian gooseberry (amla), apples and pomegranate seeds helps to control loose motions in natural manner.
- Mixture of banana in curds helps to bring relief to the problem.
- Avoid non-vegetarian and high fibre diet for few days.
Read more articles on During Pregnancy