Sprint workouts are the best to cut down calories and increase metabolic rate without hitting the gym.
To stay fit and in shape, it is a must to keep calories under control. Whatever you eat, you must burn those calories to restrict weight gain and increase metabolism. If you are a fitness freak and don't mind trying different workouts to improve your fitness and strength, we recommend you to try sprint workouts. There is no other workout plan that burns easy and effective calories like this. Its benefits don't stop at calories but muscular endurance and cardiovascular health are also improved by practicing this set of workout.
Fitness enthusiasts know the effectiveness of running over jogging and brisk walking. This particular reason makes sprinting better than another workout regime. It basically involves running to a set distance at a definite time. Combining sprint with cardio or resistance exercises provide myriad health benefits. So, if you are keen to add sprinting to your workout, here is how you can do it.
If you are new to exercising, you better be slow. As your body is not habitual of high-intensity workouts, start simpler. Putting too much pressure on the body may backfire and instead of hitting the gym, you may end up resting in the bed for long.
- A warm-up session is a must. It opens your muscles and prepares them for the exercise.
- Do stretching, brisk walking or light jogging for 10-15 minutes.
- As you are new to exercising, start with shorter sprint segments and allow your body to recover after each segment.
Here's a model regime for beginners
- Do a warm-up exercise of your choice for a good 5 minutes without a break.
- Take your first sprint(run) for 30 seconds. Put in your best effort to run faster.
- After 30 seconds, slow down and start walking at a fast pace for 120 seconds.
- Again run for the next 30 seconds with your maximum energy.
- Again slow down and begin walking for the next 120 seconds.
- Follow this pattern for the next 20 minutes without a break.
Increasing the intensity
Within a couple of days or weeks, depending on your body strength, increase the intensity of sprint workouts. As by now, you must have mastered the first level, time to take it to the next level.
To go to the next level, you just have to change the timing along with increasing intensity and reducing recovery time. Say, 45 seconds running and 90 seconds recovery.
- Do 5-minute warm-up with either stretching, jogging or brisk walking.
- Sprint for 45 seconds putting in maximum efforts.
- Shorten your recovery time with max 90 seconds slow walking.
- Resume sprinting for another 45 seconds.
- Take a recovery break for 60-90 seconds.
- Repeat the steps for 30 minutes.
Benefits Of Sprinting
There is no easy exercise than running. As sprinting includes running, it is highly effective in burning out the excess calories. You should invest in good running shoes like Reebok Running Shoes.
Sprinting provides similar benefits as a high-intensity interval training (HIIT). It helps in increasing efficiency to promote faster fat burns. This improves your cardiovascular fitness.
Also Read: How To Pick The Right Running Shoes?
Sprint workout might be difficult in the beginning but as you do it regularly, your energy would improve. Also, if you do this in the morning, it will help you stay active and energetic the entire day.
To learn more benefits of walking and jogging, watch this video.
Read more similar stories in Exercise and Fitness
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.