Here we have listed a few reasons behind your under eye wrinkles and some ways to prevent them and some DIY home remedies.
The skin under our eyes is the most sensitive area of the skin and a place where the signs of aging such as fine lines and wrinkles start appearing first. There are various factors and causes of these under eye wrinkles but the good thing is there are ways through which you can prevent it from growing further at the comfort of your home. Here we have listed a few reasons behind your under eye wrinkles and some ways to prevent them and some DIY home remedies
What causes under-eye wrinkles?
This is amongst those early signs of aging because as you grow old your skin starts losing its elasticity. Not just this but there are various other factors which can cause these under eye wrinkles such as sun exposure, genetics, etc. The reason why these signs of aging start appearing under your eyes first is because the skin in that area is very thin and has blood vessels under it. Here are some factors that can contribute to the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles under your eyes.
1# Sun Exposure
Well you have been repeatedly told to use sunscreen and protect your skin from harsh sun rays and it was for your own benefit. Sun exposure can cause a lot of damage to your skin as when the UV rays penetrate through your skin it produces free radicals which damage the elastin fibers of the skin which makes your skin lose its elasticity which results in wrinkles and loose skin.
Also Read: Try These 5 Tips To Prevent Dark Circles
Yes it is not just injurious for your lungs but for your skin as well. Smoking lips is a term used to describe the fine lines around the lips caused due to smoking, but that isn’t it. Smoking also causes under eye wrinkles. The tobacco in cigarettes causes internal skin damage to your skin structure and the blood vessels around your eyes. Another factor related to smoking which causes these wrinkles is squinting. As you squint your eyes to resist the smoke from getting in, it creates some furrows around your eyes which eventually turn into wrinkles over time.
When was the last time you had a glass of water? Well before going ahead go and gram a glass of water because this is another reminder to keep yourself hydrated. Dehydration is another cause behind these early signs of aging as due to lack of water in the skin the skin starts losing its elasticity and wrinkles are formed.
4# Rubbing your eyes
Remember when your mom used to ask you to stop rubbing your eyes so harshly? Well she was right this time as well, it surely has some side effects. If you all still do that you seriously need to stop. As said, the skin in your under eye area is very sensitive and has blood vessels beneath. When you rub your eyes this soft layer of skin gets stretched and on repeated stretching it starts to lose its elasticity which contributes to the appearance of wrinkles.
Known for its diuretic properties alcohol can cause fine lines and wrinkles by dehydrating your whole body and especially your skin. It also has high sugar content which generates free radicals which damage the elasticity of your skin and causes wrinkles.
6# Sleeping on your sides
If you are someone who sleepers on their tummy or your sides you seriously need to reconsider your sleeping position. While you sleep on your sides or on your stomach, your facial skin gets squished by the pillow. As there is a constant pressure on the area around your eyes it can deepen the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines under your eyes.
7# Inadequate Sleep
You NEED to take that beauty sleep. As your body recovers, repairs and regenerates while you're sleeping, it is important for you to give your body some time to do so. Inadequate sleep can stress your eyes and those blood vessels underneath and cause under eye wrinkles.
Tips to prevent under eye wrinkles
- Apply sunscreen: Do not forget to use SPF before stepping out to protect your skin from wrinkles causing harsh sun.
- Facial exercises: The trending facial yoga can help you to prevent those under eye wrinkles by tightening your skin if done correctly.
- Healthy diet: This is something which you can never ever go wrong with. A healthy diet will not just help you to prevent these early signs of aging but would also help you lead a healthy life.
- Exfoliation: Gentle exfoliation is proven to be very effective when it comes to under eye wrinkles. As exfoliation helps in removing dead skin cells and and promotes the growth of new one’s it is an easy and effective method to prevent under eye wrinkles and fine lines.
- Moisturize: Cleanse, Tone, Moisturize and repeat! Your under eyes along with being the most sensitive area of your face is also the driest of them all. Moisturising under eyes regularly can help you keep these wrinkles at bay.
DIY Home Remedies to treat under eye wrinkles
1# Coconut oil
Enriched with the goodness of Vitamin E, coconut oils boosts the production of collagen in skin and encourages the regeneration of skin cells.
- How to use: Take some coconut oil on your fingertips and gently massage it around your under eye area.
2# Apple Cider vinegar
The magic ingredient can help you with anything and everything. A great source of vitamin E, ACV helps you to keep your skin hydrated and boosts the production of collagen and elastin in your skin.
- How to use: Mix 1 tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar with 1 tablespoon of Honey. Mix it well and gently apply around your under eye area by preventing contact with your eyes.
Rich in vitamins and minerals along with an abundance of water, cucumber can help you cure those under eye wrinkles by hydrating and restoring the skin’s natural elasticity.
- How to use: Scoop out some cucumber pulp with the help of a spoon and apple it under your eyes using cotton pads.
4# Green Tea
Not just weight loss, but siping hot green tea has other health benefits as well. Rich in antioxidants and astringent tannins, green tea has the power to get rid of those under eye bags and wrinkles.
- How to use: Take a warm cup of water and add 1 tablespoon of honey to it. Now take a green tea bag and your green tea is ready. Sip it every morning to get best results.
4# Petroleum Jelly
An occlusive agent, petroleum jelly helps to moisturise your skin intensively and helps you get rid of under eye wrinkles
- How to use: Take a little bit of Vaseline on the tip of your fingers and gently massage it around your eyes and leave overnight.
Although all the remedies mentioned above use natural ingredients, we would recommend you to take a patch test before you start using them . Be careful while applying anything around your eyes and avoid the contact of these DIY recipes with your eyes.
Read more articles on Skincare
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.