Do you know what exactly happens during a brain freeze and why does it hurt? Please read all about it.
Do you like to have ice creams and cold drinks in every season? If yes, then be careful because it can be dangerous for you. One teaspoon of ice cream in can freeze your brain (in any season), especially if you are non-stop eating it. Brain freeze is one such problem, which is caused due to sudden consumption of any excess frozen item. It can also be called a brain freeze. Although it is a kind of forehead pain, sometimes it becomes a little more severe than a regular headache. Brain freeze often occurs when your brain is exposed to a cold temperature from the precursor. It is important to understand brain freeze because most people have a headache and they take it as a familiar pain (while this is a bigger problem than this).
Why does the brain freeze?
- When you actually consume a cold drink or eat ice cream too fast, your internal carotid artery rapidly changes the temperature behind the throat, which causes the brain to stop the blood circulation, causing pain.
- Apart from this, the thing to understand is that your brain does not like a sudden change, and the brain stops working, which is called an immediate freeze of the mind.
- Our brain cannot feel pain because of its billions of neurons, but receptors felt the pain associated with brain freeze in the outer covering of the brain, called meninges, where two arteries meet. When the cold rises, it causes dilation and contraction of these arteries, and we suddenly feel very severe headaches.
- Also, a cold item first hits the back of the mouth or throat, which is a temperature-sensitive area. It stimulates the blood vessels and nerves and increases blood circulation. It emerges from the end of the bull's eye through the bulldog, located in the middle of the brain, which freezes the brain. But we come to know of the acute pain when the blood circulation stops in our head.
How to avoid brain freeze?
One can easily protect his brain from freezing. Just for this, we need to take care of some things like:
- Avoid cold-sensitive foods such as ice cream and beverages such as cold drinks. If you are still eating it, then keep in mind that suddenly things do not go into the upper part of your mouth. So eat and drink them slowly.
- Apart from this, you can keep the mouth temperature right with your tongue. For this, first of all, whatever cold you eat, melt them slowly with the tongue. Your tongue helps in keeping the temperature of your mouth smooth. When you eat cold things, the heat of those things gets transferred to the tongue, and by the time your brain recognizes it, the temperature is moderated.
- Do not eat cold things suddenly after eating any hot thing. This is because your mouth is susceptible to cold and hot, due to which your circulation is affected. Also, your brain is not ready for this sensitivity and becomes fridge.
- Do not come out of bed suddenly in winter. Try to cover your head while exiting so that the temperature of the environment does not affect your body temperature.
Read more articles on Other Diseases
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.