Dandruff is one of the major haircare concerns that a lot of people deal with. Irrespective of the season, dandruff can trouble you at any given point in time. No matter how much protection you provide to your hair, dandruff can be caused. It is very important to treat dandruff as this can serve as the root cause of other serious hair problems like hair fall, baldness, scalp infection, alopecia, to name but a few. Also, dandruff of two kinds- dry and wet. While dry dandruff is common, wet dandruff needs attention. In this article, we will talk about wet dandruff, its causes and treatment tips.
What Is Wet Dandruff?
Sebaceous glands are the ones that produce sebum or oil which is a natural oil that keeps your scalp moisturised. If the sebaceous glands produce a sufficient amount of oil, it helps in preventing scalp dryness and dry dandruff problem. Lesser production causes dandruff, scalp infection and hair fall problems. Similarly, excess production of sebum oil can also cause various hair problems amongst which, wet dandruff is one. When the glands become overactive, they produce a higher amount of oil which doesn’t do any good but only causes harm to your hair. Excess oil makes your scalp sticky and allows dirt & dust to get stick to your scalp. This damp layer of dirt forms wet dandruff or oily dandruff.
In simple language, when your scalp becomes excess oily, it causes oily dandruff which is also called wet dandruff.
Causes Of Wet Dandruff
As already explained, wet dandruff is caused when sebaceous glands become overactive and release excess oil. But there are many other reasons explained by Dr. Ajay Rana, a world renowned Dermatologist and Aesthetic Physician, Founder & Director of ILAMED why this happens.
- Hormonal changes
- Poor hair care
- Not shampooing for a long time
- Nor cleansing hair properly
- Buildup of dirt
All of these factors cause wet dandruff and trigger other hair problems associated with this.
Also Read: Rinse Your Hair With Ginseng Tea To Treat Hair Fall, Dandruff and Other Problems
Difference Between Dry Dandruff and Wet Dandruff
- Dry dandruff is caused when there is insufficient oil in the scalp. Dry scalp causes dry dandruff. Wet dandruff, on the other hand, is caused due to wet scalp and overproduction of sebum oil.
- Talking about the appearance, dry dandruff causes dry, snowy white flakes that fall off easily. Wet dandruff, is oily and has a yellowish appearance.
- Itching is caused in both dandruff but dry dandruff gets redness and may cause blood after scratching. Wet dandruff makes the scalp feel wet and doesn’t cause bleeding after scratching.
- Dry dandruff is temporary but wet dandruff is a long-lasting condition that should be treated immediately.
Home remedies for wet dandruff
Here are some natural remedies for wet dandruff that you can try to get rid of this condition.
Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera gel has amazing cleansing and moisturising properties and so, it can be used in treating wet dandruff. It also reduces itchiness and inflammation that arises due to dandruff and itching. Just apply some fresh aloe vera gel on your scalp and leave it for 30-40 minutes before washing your hair. If you follow this for a few weeks, your wet dandruff problem will be resolved.
Also Read: Make Bhringraj Oil At Home To Treat Dandruff and Hair Fall
Apple Cider Vinegar
This is acidic and so, it serves as a great remedy for wet dandruff. It balances the pH level of the scalp and reduces the growth of bacteria, fungus and dandruff layer.
- Take half a cup of ACV.
- Pour it on your scalp and gently massage it.
- Leave it for 10-15 minutes on your scalp.
- Wash your hair with normal water and then shampoo them.
This balances pH level and revives the natural scalp pH to prevent dandruff accumulation. Wet dandruff is difficult to treat but it is treatable. If you have this problem, try these natural remedies to get rid of it.
Read More Articles in Hair Care