Most people are often stressed and worried in this fast-paced life and rarely have time for themselves. But when you stress too much for a long time, it can lead to various health problems like depression, obesity, digestive issues, etc. Many symptoms, like increased irritability, disturbed sleep patterns, heaviness in the heart, etc, indicate you are stressing too much. Keep reading to know the signs and ways to treat it.
Symptoms And Warning Signs Of Stress You Should Watch Out For
There can be various physical and behavioural symptoms that can indicate you need to take necessary measures. Some of them are as follows:
- You may feel heaviness in your heart, chest pain, or witness an increase in your heart rate
- You may suffer from headaches, shoulder pain, neck pain, or body aches
- There may be difficulty in breathing or shortness of breath
- You may feel dizzy, tired, or anxious
- You may tend to sleep more than usual
- There may be a change in your weight; you may lose or gain weight.
- You may have stomach or digestive problems
- You may become more emotional than usual
- You are often overwhelmed by little things
- You may experience trouble keeping track of things or remembering things
- You find it difficult to make decisions or concentrate on things
- You may have panic attacks or face anxiety
- You have least or no interest in daily activities
What Can Stress Lead To?
Chronic stress can lead to various health conditions, such as:
- It can lead to anxiety and depression
- It is known that chronic stress increases the risk of cardiovascular diseases, including high blood pressure, heart disease, strokes, and heart attacks
- It can also increase the chances of obesity and eating disorders
- You can also develop menstrual problems due to chronic stress
6 Ways To Deal With Emotional Distress
Practising meditation can help you manage stress, increase self-awareness, and help you to stay focused. It will improve your emotional health and reduce your stress levels.
Exercising is beneficial not only for your physical health but your mental health too. It can improve your mood and help to release muscle tension that is caused by stress.
Connect With Others
You should try connecting with people to reduce stress and improve your emotional health. Isolating yourself from people can affect your mental health and increase the risk of depression.
Also Read: How Laughter Can Keep Diseases At Bay
Writing your thoughts on a paper can help you to understand yourself more clearly. It can also help you to find your emotional triggers and help you to face your emotions.
Distract Your Mind
You can listen to music, play a game, or watch a movie to distract your mind when stressed. Do things that you love and enjoy.
People who sleep less tend to be more stressed than the ones who sleep for at least eight hours. This is because a lack of sleep can increase the stress hormone called cortisol. Therefore, you should sleep well to reduce the stress levels in your body.