Who says desserts can only be heavy and unhealthy? These two walnut dessert recipes are great for health and mood in several ways.
For many, it is next to impossible to finish their meal without a dessert. In most cases, those who crave sweet more have a sweet tooth, and may even be borderline to various health concerns including obesity, diabetes, etc. But with so many food innovations around, it is now not fair to say that a sweet dish cannot be healthy in any way. And, who says that one cannot give in to their sweet craving without actually doing a lot of damage to the health? For the same, add some walnuts to your recipes and tweak a few elements with healthy replacements. But wondering why walnuts can make a difference?
Health Benefits of Walnuts
There are proven health benefits of walnuts, know all about them before making it a part of your sweat dish diet regime:
- Walnuts are rich in antioxidants
- It is a source of Omega-3 fatty acids
- Being high in fibre, it helps in the management of weight
- Helps decrease inflammation
- Great snack for those suffering from Type-2 diabetes
- It helps in lowering the blood pressure
- Eating walnuts every day can help reduce the risk of heart diseases
VIDEO: All this and more, this video can give you a brief about how and why walnut should be added to your daily diet:
Walnut Dessert Recipes
Chattisgarh Ki Dehrori- By Chef Varun Inamdar
For the batter
- 1 cup Rice
- 1/2 cup curds
- 2 tablespoons California walnut powder
For the syrup
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Green cardamom powder
- 1/4 cup ghee for shallow frying
- Soak the rice in water for 2 hours.
- Drain and grind into a coarse paste along with curds and walnut powder.
- Cover with a lid and place in a warm place to ferment overnight.
- In a deep bottomed pan kept on medium flame, add water and sugar. Heat the mixture until you get a thick syrup—flavour with lemon juice and green cardamom powder. Turn off the flame and keep aside until further use.
- Take a deep bottomed pan, keep it on medium flame and heat ghee in it. Meanwhile, make small pancakes out of the rice-curd-walnut mixture. Gently dip these pancakes in the hot ghee and fry them until golden brown on both sides.
- Immediately transfer the fried pancakes in the sugar syrup and let it soak the syrup.
- Once done, garnish with chopped California walnuts.
Sugar-free California Walnut Kheer- By Chef Sabyasachi Gorai
(A healthy twist to your traditional kheer)
- 1.5-litre milk
- 220g ground California walnuts
- 15g sugar-free
- 200g bread crumb
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- Boil milk with cinnamon and orange zest in a pan.
- Add California walnuts and bread crumbs slowly in boiled milk. Make sure that you add it slowly and not all in one go.
- Just when the milk starts to curdle or thiceken, add sugar-free. Whisk it well together.
- Pour in the serving bowl and garnish with toasted California walnuts; serve hot or cold.
Not just these, but innovate and reinvent your desserts that you like by adding some walnuts in it. As a pro-cooking tip, the best is to know which food combination works the best and how to mix two elements. For instance, walnuts are not sweet, hence instead of adding extra sugar to the dessert, look for alternatives like artificial sweeteners, honey, etc.
Read more articles on Healthy Diet
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.