Too many chocolates can harm you seriously
- Chocolates have enough of the toxic chemical theobromine.
- Tooth decay and cavities are also likely because of excess sugar.
- Be in control of the temptations and be wary of the dangers.
You perhaps have been told numerable times that regular intake of chocolates can be bad. It is actually complicated to classify it as a bad or good food. While it has myriad health benefits to offer, it can also lead to some risks that you must watch out for.
It is fine to reach out for chocolates so long as your motive is to alleviate stress or satisfy a craving, but there can be consequences if you want to consume it often. Before you start overindulging on this treat, read what chocolates can do to you.
Theobromine: A harmful ingredient
Chocolates may be delicious but they also have enough of the toxic chemical theobromine. This chemical has properties similar to that of caffeine. In fact, it is more difficult for our body to clear theobromine out of the system compared with caffeine.
Moreover, theobromine is also a vasodilator which acts on the nerves in the veins and relaxes them to allow more blood to flow. It makes you feel relaxed, but with a strong focus.
The toxic effect of chocolate on dogs is well-known; it is also poisonous to humans, though not to the same degree as dogs and shouldn't cause too much concern. Small doses of chocolate will cause canine vomiting, while large doses lead to arrhythmia and fatal heart attacks. Humans have a better metabolism, so there is better resistance to them than dogs. However, a large dose of chocolate can be unhealthy.
- Chocolate consumption can cause a spike in cholesterol levels, which can put you at risk for heart disease and stroke.
- Refined carbohydrates of chocolate can elevate blood sugar, which can make the body resistant to insulin and may lead to diabetes.
- Tooth decay and cavities are also likely with consumption of excess sugar.
- Gastroesophageal reflux is a condition associated with chocolate intake.
- Chocolates have caffeine that can cause rapid heartbeat, anxiety, depression, restlessness, sleep problems, tremors, nausea and vomiting.
Control your temptations
Chocolates are tempting! So, you have to be in control of the temptations and be wary of the dangers of excessive chocolate intake. Take into account that there are many active chemicals in chocolates. These chemicals may influence our brains and can cause many problems.
Image Source: Getty
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Nov 24, 2017
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.