Sometimes it happens that we find it difficult to fall or stay asleep. There might be no reason behind it, no worry, stress or anxiety. At times, there is so much going on, so much to do that it has an impact on our sleep. Events such as the grand festival that is Diwali, or a wedding can have such an impact. If you are too impacted, a simple tip by celeb nutritionist Rujuta Diwekar might help you.
Rujuta Diwekar’s Cashew Milk For A Good Night’s Sleep
Sharing her tip in a video on social media, Diwekar said, “If you have lost sleep over nothing, no ishq vishq pyaar vyaar, just diwali nights and shaadi nights, then here’s an easy and a tasty solution that you begin to sleep like a baby, have your gut fixed and your skin begins to glow and get less irritable.” And that solution involves some milk and a few cashew nuts. Here is what you need to do:
- Soak some cashew nuts in a cupful of milk for some hours.
- Take those soaked cashew nuts out of the milk and ground them well using mortar and pestle.
- In a pan, add the milk in which you soaked the nuts. Add the ground cashews to it. Add some more milk if you want.
- Warm it.
If you have sleeping lightly lately.. pic.twitter.com/1cwgStdKUy— Rujuta Diwekar (@RujutaDiwekar) October 23, 2021
You can have it either warm, cold and at normal temperature and get yourself a good night’s sleep.
Do Milk And Cashews Help With Sleep?
(Photo Credit: Freepik)
In India, many people have some warm milk, often with a pinch of turmeric, before they go to bed. It is believed to help with better sleep? But, what does science say? As per a study, drinking some warm milk before bed had a positive effect on sleep. The reason for it might lie in an amino acid called tryptophan. This amino acid plays a role in the production of hormones called serotonin and melatonin. The former is a neurotransmitter associated with mood and memory. And our body releases melatonin in response to darkness to make us sleepy. Although milk might help with sleep, those who are lactose intolerant, have irritable bowel syndrome, or are otherwise allergic to the drink, should not have it and explore some alternatives.
Now coming to cashews, some nuts such as almonds, walnuts and cashews have been shown to have a positive effect on sleep. As per the Sleep Foundation, these nuts contain melatonin, along with minerals such as zinc and magnesium. And, a study involving older adults suffering from insomnia showed that a combination of these three elements helped these individuals with sleep. So, these might be the reason behind Rujuta’s cashew milk effect on sleep.
Other Tips For Better Sleep
(Photo Credit: Freepik)
This cashew milk might help you with zzz. However, if it doesn’t work, here are some other tips you can try:
- Many people gulp caffeine in the latter part of the day, without considering that it is a stimulant meant to make you stay awake, and can interfere with sleep if consumed at the wrong hours. Hence, avoid drinking tea, coffee, energy drinks and other sources of caffeine before your bedtime.
- Another thing that is a major sleep disruptor is smartphones. These emit blue light and when used while you are in your bed trying to fall asleep, it sends a wrong signal to the brain that it is still light, which in turn blocks the production of melatonin, thus making it difficult for you to sleep. Hence, avoid using your phone close to your bedtime.
- Although having a short nap might help in keeping you energised in the later part of your day, it shouldn’t be more than 20-30 minutes, as this can affect your night sleep.
- Having a proper sleep schedule might help. This is because human beings develop habits and the bodies should know when it is time to wake up and unwind. Hence, set a time when you would go to bed and wake up.
- You can also try some relaxation techniques to unwind for the day. Meditation, breathing exercises, stretching, or doing some light Yoga poses can help.
Other than these, if the sleep disturbances persist, it is better to consult a medical expert. It is crucial to rule out any mental health issues that might be interfering with sleep. A proper good night’s rest is crucial for a healthy body and sound mind.