Food Poisoning Signs and Symptoms- Vomiting, nausea and fever are the common signs of food poisoning. Depending on the kind of infection the symptoms may vary from one individual to another.
Intake of contaminated food causes food-borne illness i.e. food poisoning and because the digestive system of infants and children is not fully developed, they are at a high risk. Also school going children eat outside and get affected with food poisoning. Diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting and fever are the common symptoms of food poisoning. But they vary because of different bacteria and different types of food. So some may have very mild symptoms and on the other hand some may exhibit severe signs.
Different kinds of bacteria have different signs and symptoms of food poisoning
- Food poisoning through contaminated water or consumption of raw milk which leads to watery diarrhoea, fever and headache (mild symptoms) is caused because of Campylobacter.
- Food poisoning through uncooked eggs, dairy products, poultry and sea food which causes nausea, diarrhoea, vomiting and stomach cramps and headache is caused because of the bacteria, Salmonella.
- When the bacteria are transmitted through raw fish, honey, pork, and ham it leads to weakness, blurred vision, difficulty in swallowing and speaking. This is caused due to the bacteria Clostridium Botulinum.
- When transferred through contaminated facets of food and water causing severe diarrhoea and abdominal cramps is due to E-Coli.
- Staphylococcus aureus is transferred through cakes, cream and other dairy products, and salad causing nausea, vomiting and dizziness.
- Bacillus cereus causes diarrhoea, stomach cramps and vomiting. It is transmitted through starchy foods such as rice.
- When food poisoning occurs due to the intake of uncooked meat or raw seafood causing vomiting, nausea, fever and headache and diarrhoea, it is because of the bacteria named Vibrio cholera.
- When food poisoning is transmitted by the intake of potatoes, raw meat and vegetables and milk causing stomach cramps and high fever, it is caused due to Shigella.
Food poisoning happens not only through bacteria but also through a virus named Norovirus which leads to severe vomiting and is transmitted through contaminated food, and unclean utensils. Hepatitis A too is a cause of food poisoning caused due to contaminated food, water, and vegetables. However, there is vaccination available for hepatitis A. Norwalk virus can also cause food poisoning through the intake of shellfish, salad, and raw oysters.
Food poisoning in children can take a serious turn if not treated in time. Diarrhoea in children is a sign of dehydration. Stomach cramps on the other hand indicate the severity of the pain being caused by the food poisoning. The best thing to in case you spot signs of food poisoning in your child is to immediately consult a doctor.
Read more articles on Food Poisoning Signs and Symptoms
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.