Sex education will help youngsters and elders prevent themselves against abuse, exploitation, and HIV.
Sex education is the most controversial problem in the education system. Some people agree to sex education while some think it’s still a taboo. This is not possible to shrug off the obligation of informing youth about its importance. Problems like STDs, pregnancy, and assault can be avoided if being taught at school about it. This is a broad term elaborating education on human anatomy, sexual reproductive health, emotional relation, reproductive rights and responsibilities, abstinence, contraception and other aspects of human sexual behaviour. Parents usually feel awkward talking about it to youngsters.
Kids do not usually get the right amount of sex information at home, and the school is the only place that can help them give enlightenment about education. Hence it is the responsibility of the school to look into this subject matter. Let’s look at the advantages and disadvantages of sex education.
- The spread of HIV and other sexually transmitted diseases in young adults is due to low rates of contraceptive use and the lack of information on safe sex practices. Sex education can give some knowledge on preventing STDs and the technique to use condoms for prevention.
- They are less prone to HIV infection since they have the necessary information and skills to protect themselves.
- Gives insight and offers practical knowledge to avoid unwanted pregnancies and has resulted in great success in deterring it.
- Sex education helps young adults in preventing any sexual assaults and teaches students what is right and what is wrong.
- Not talking about sex education will create a significant impact on adolescents. Hence, talking about it can create a better influence on adolescents by being able to communicate, listen, negotiate with others, ask for and identify sources of help and advice.
- Educating youngsters about sex education goes a long way as it is a broad topic about the bodies, human reproductive system, sexually transmitted diseases, birth contraceptives, and pregnancy prevention techniques.
- There is a lack of skilled teachers in teaching sex education because some find it painful and discomforting to teach sex education topics in school
- Often people see sex education as a “recreational” course and do not take it as a serious issue
- For some, this is against their moral or religious beliefs and sentiments as an individual. Many schools do not teach as it becomes very tough to argue with people when they carry the faith to the forefront and hence prefer to go away this sensitive trouble untouched.
- Parents think that sex education could corrupt a student’s moral standing and incline them to engage in sexual activity due to their curiosity.
Can This Knowledge Backfire?
There has been an argument raised by the opponents of sex education is that the provision of too much or the talking of sexual education can ruin the innocence and make them think about it. Comprehensive sex education involves teaching on abstinence, safe sex practices, and sexual diversity, but most schools do not teach ‘abstinence’. Instead, they focus on having safe intercourse which family objects before marriage
There is a lack of sincerity in students as well as teachers. Students tend to think of this subject as embarrassing or ridiculous and hence do not pay attention to it or attend the instruction. They either laugh about it or think of it as an “entertaining subject”. This might be difficult for teachers to teach about this subject. Although receiving sex education during your adolescence can be not always practical but beneficial, it should not be removed from the school curriculum. It should approach as to how it is taught.
Read more articles on Mind & Body
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.