Which type of parent are you? Parenting is classified into four types as per the bonding between parents and children. Find your type
Parenting is a big responsibility to raise a child to make him/her a great human being with all the good qualities. Every parent has a different take on parenting. The most common categories that we put parents into are strict parents and cool parents. Only a few lie in between. We all believe that parenting is only one kind but parenting is categorized into four types based on the manner of handling kids. These are:
- Authoritarian or Disciplinarian
Let us know about each type in detail.
Authoritarian parents are also called as disciplinarians. They are authoritative and are seen as disciple parents. Punishment is very common in this parenting type. There is only one-way communication possible with authoritative parents as they only speak and not listen. They have very high expectations but not keen to adjust to kids and the changing environment.
Effect of authoritarian parenting on Kids:
- Children of authoritarian parents live life with a rulebook.
- They are obedient but it comes with a price.
- Such children are highly likely to develop self-esteem issues as they grow up suppressing their opinions.
- Due to parents’ strictness, these kids often end up becoming good liars in order to escape the punishment. Besides, some of them also become aggressive or hostile.
Authoritative parents are nurturing and strive to become an ideal parent. They have valid reasons for every point that too for the benefit of their kids. They have clear expectations from their kids but they consider their point of view also. They communicate with children frequently to establish a healthy child-parent relationship.
Effect of authoritative parenting on Kids:
- Children of authoritative parents become self-disciplined.
- These kids tend to have a positive nature and a successful life.
- They develop great decision-making skills.
Permissive parenting is also called as indulgent parenting. They come under the cool parents' category as they are very open-minded and allow their kids to do whatever they wish to do in life. They develop a friendly bond with their kids which makes the children have a transparent relationship with their parents. They do not set any rules for their children and are always supportive of them.
Effect of permissive parenting on Kids:
- Children of permissive parents often develop behavioral problems as they cannot withstand rules, regulations and authority.
- These kids are likely to suffer issues in academics.
- As permissive parents have n restrictions imposed on children, kids develop bad habits including junk eating. Thus, most of them become obese.
- These kids often struggle with a sad life.
As the name suggests, uninvolved parenting means complete freedom to children. Uninvolved parents show the least involved in their kids' life. This type of parenting is done when either they are least interested in parenting or they have chosen to become this type of parent for some reason. They don't even know what the child is up to as they hardly care!
Effect of uninvolved parenting on kids:
- Children suffer from self-esteem problems.
- Most of them are poor in studies.
- They grow up stubborn and have behavioral issues.
Read more articles on Tips For Parents
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.