At the beginning of the year 2020, no one had expected the year to be one of the toughest, both individually as well as part of the human population. The SarS-CoV-2, popularly known as COVID-19, has taken the lives of millions of people all over the world, brought the world economy to ruin, and adversely affected both the physical and mental health of people worldwide. The virus is currently speeding up in its spread from one person to another, making sanitizers, face masks, rubber gloves, and PPE Kits life essentials and teaching people that anything and everything can be managed from home itself.
What are the after-effects of COVID-19?
Ayurveda Expert, Anand Srivastava, (Chairman Maharishi Ayurveda) states that, "while the COVID-19 after-effects appear as though they are here to stay, scientists, doctors, and researchers all over the world are hastily trying to develop some vaccine or cure so that the virus can be eliminated once and for all. In this process of learning and experimenting, one of the stronger contenders in the race to cure COVID-19 has been Ayurveda. An individual’s chances of contracting COVID-19 are heavily reliant on their immune system, and Ayurveda has provided apt resources that can help us strengthen our immune systems while we’re quarantined at home."
Also Read: Try This New Ayurvedic Kadha To Boost Immunity and Avail Other Health Benefits
What is the Ayurvedic definition of health?
- The Ayurvedic definition of health states, ‘balance at every aspect of physiology and bliss at the level of the senses- Mann (mind) and Atman (soul).’ Thus, as per Ayurvedic practices, both physical and mental health are equally important if one is attempting to battle COVID-19.
- To achieve a right balance between a healthy mind and body, Ayurveda recommends a combination of healthy habits as well as regular consumption of organic items to make sure that the body is strong enough to fight off harmful viruses like COVID-19.
- Some of these recommendations include Transcendental Meditation, consuming a healthy diet, and getting adequate sleep. Apart from these, the rich Ayurvedic wisdom suggests making use of Rasayanas, which help in eliminating excessive mental and physical stress and striking a much-needed physiological balance.
- Another recommendation that is bound to work is the ‘Nasya Treatment’ (putting medicated oil drops in the nostrils), under which the individual has the flexibility of training either under an expert or on their own at home. Utilising the qualitative aspects of herbal oils, Nasya Treatment helps in cleansing and soothing the respiratory tract.
- Another ‘fumigation process’ for one’s surroundings which has proved to be quite useful is the ‘Dhoopana’, under which the microbial load from one’s closed surroundings is reduced.
- These recommendations under Ayurveda are bound to make one’s atmosphere more congenial and immune system relatively more substantial, which will help in protecting ourselves from COVID-19.
As of now, several case studies, both from India and abroad, have established that Ayurveda has effectively protected or even cured patients of COVID-19. Since no antibiotic treatment or vaccine has yet been found to be useful in medicine, these Ayurvedic practices are sure to keep one healthy and protected from the deadly virus which has taken the world by storm. We can successfully win over the current pandemic if we follow Ayurvedic recommendations in a disciplined manner.
Read More Articles in Ayurveda