Healthy, shiny, and bouncy hair is everyone’s dream but not all get to live it. A lot of people are troubled with hair issues like dandruff and hair loss. But these are primary issues that can later develop into thinning hairline and balding (both partial and total).
It is very disheartening to lose hair over time. It could be due to genes, diet, lifestyle, stress, or poor hair care. While some suffer temporary hair loss some lose strands over time causing bald patches on the scalp. Hair transplant is one of the popular options to regrow receding hairlines these days. The process involves transplanting thriving hair follicles to the balding part of the scalp. While this looks like a breakthrough solution and you are thinking of getting it done, you must weigh all the pros and cons of hair transplantation.
Pros of hair transplant
Here are some advantages of hair transplantation:
Personality enhancement - Needless to say, the biggest reason why people get hair transplantation done is for aesthetic enhancement. Once they begin to look good, it boosts the self-confidence of the person.
99% success rate - This treatment procedure guarantees results with almost 99% success rate. As this procedure transplants hair into the roots with uniform distribution through Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT), the chances of hair growth are very high.
Natural hair - This is the only solution that gives you real hair from the roots. Since you are the donor and receiver both, the hair would look completely natural. Unlike wigs and other solutions used to hide baldness, this gives you the best support with no strict after-care.
Continuous growth - You need not go for sittings or any renewal treatment after transplantation. The hair will grow naturally for its entire lifecycle.
Cons of hair transplant
This is a surgical treatment in the end and so, there have to be some downsides that should be considered. Here are some of them:
- Costly affair - One of the major reasons that people refrain from opting for hair transplantation is that it is a costly treatment. The expenses cannot be borne by everyone.
- Recovery Period - Just like recovery is required after any surgery, you are supposed to allot time for your scalp to recover. Certain minor complications like pain, swelling, redness, itching, and bruising might be experienced, which is normal. But you need to allow your head to heal completely, and till then, you must ensure you don’t step out in the sun or expose your head to dirt and dust.
- Scarring - Depending upon the procedure, some people may get scars on their head. However these won’t be easily visible unless you shave your head and this depends on the surgical procedure as well.
- Infections - Since your scalp has gone under the knife, your scalp is highly susceptible to minor infections. You may bleed, get scars, and may even develop haemorrhage.
- Hair loss - Though the success rates of hair transplantation are high, in rare cases, it may cause hair loss over time. If you suffer gradual hair loss, consult your surgeon as you may require another transplant surgery.
- New Hairline: In some cases, people get a new hairline after transplantation. This can give a completely new look to you.
Perks and perils come hand in hand even in hair transplantation. One must consider both before deciding whether or not to get the treatment.
Image credits- freepik