Pneumonia is a very serious disease that could cause life-threatening complications and result to adverse situations. It is a lung condition where lungs become affected in such a way that a person has breathlessness and other complications. It inflames the air sacs in one or both the lungs and then it results to fluid or pus retention in the phlegm. Pneumonia can lead a person to fever, chills and breathing difficulties in the initial cases. This might even be caused during the hospitalization which is even more risky. Here are ways of diagnosis and treatment options that are available for pneumonia.
Diagnosis of Pneumonia
We spoke to Dr. Rakesh Kumar, Head Pulmonologist in Ivory Hospital, Greater Noida to tell us about the ways of diagnosis and treatment methods for patients suffering from pneumonia. Here is what you must know.
One of the initial steps that a doctor takes is by asking you some relevant questions that are related to the medical history of the patient. He might even listen to your lungs with a stethoscope to check for abnormal bubbling or cracking sounds. Your doctor ask you for the following tests for diagnosis.
1. Blood test- it is a general test that is taken in order to confirm the infection and identify if there is type of organism that is causing the infection. But precise indication is not possible through a blood test. This however can confirm the pneumonia infection in the body.
2. Chest X-Ray- This is an important step because it helps to diagnose if pneumonia has affected the patient severely or it is a mild infection. It also helps to know about the location of infection, you might tell your doctor about the kind of germ that is causing pneumonia.
3. Pulse oximetry- It is helpful in order to measure the levels of oxygen in the blood. It could also aid in preventing your lungs from taking in adequate amount of oxygen in the main bloodstream.
4. Sputum Test- In this test a sample of fluid from your lungs is taken. You might be asked to cough deeply and analyze it to help understand the cause of pneumonia infection in the lungs.
5. CT Scan- If pneumonia present in your body isn’t clearing up as you want it to be, then it could be due to a CT scan. This helps to get a more detailed image of the lungs.
6. Pleural Fluid Culture- This is procedure is which a needle is pointed between the ribs from the pleural area to analyze and determine the infection.
How can Pneumonia be Treated?
You can only cure pneumonia by eradicating or getting rid of the infection causing symptoms. Once the complications are prevented, the patient is taken back to recovery with help of medicines and therapies. You will have to stay at bed rest post pneumonia infection for proper recovery.
1. Antibiotics- Use of Antibiotics is the primary treatment option that is taken in consideration to take away the bacterial pneumonia. It does take time to identify the type pf bacteria that has caused pneumonia, and then best anti-biotic is used to treat the symptoms.
2. Cough medications- One of the major effects of pneumonia is that you cough a lot. Cough medication is useful to loosen up the fluid in the lungs and does not eliminate it completely. A very few over the counter medications are useful to reduce the coughing problems caused because of pneumonia. If you are suppressant to cough, then lowest dose is used.
3. Fever/ Pain Relievers- Doctor might advise you to take fever reduction pills or pain relivers in addition to the other medicines in order to provide relief. These drugs that contain aspirin, ibuprofen and acetaminophen are useful in this process.
Picture Credits- shutterstock.com