Want to get rid of the back fat? Here are five pilates exercises that can help in toning the back. Say goodbye to bra fat with these exercises.
There is no certain thing as spot weight loss or spot reduction. In simple words, you cannot lose fat from a particular part of the body. If you think that you can lose weight or fat from a specific part through pilates, it may not happen. That is not how the human body works. As you start to lose weight, the body would eventually lose as a part of predisposition- first place on, last place off. This is how the weight loss mechanism generally works. This does get frustrating at times.
Back is indeed a difficult part of the body to reach when it comes to weight or fat loss. Back fat is generally called- Bra fat. It is difficult to reach because of problems with posture. Since gravity is always pulling us down, we are more likely to feed into the anterior chain which is in front rather than the posterior chain which is in the back. Having said that, certain exercises can help activate those muscles. That way, you are going to achieve the look and physique that you want. These exercises would improve your posture and will activate the posterior muscles. You can do these exercises either with an elastic band or a towel.
1. Up and Down
- Grab the elastic band/towel behind your back and push the arms away from the body in such a way that you are lifting them up and away from the bottom.
- While holding the band/towel and pulling it apart, the band should be folded double or you should use a strong band. Do not open your arms as you are required to create tension along with the structure. In a nutshell, you are pulling it apart, lifting it and bringing it back to the bottom.
Do high repetitions such as 30, 40 or 50 depending upon your strength and holding capacity. Focus on pulling the shoulder blades together and holding the body straight.
2. Side to Side
- Follow the steps mentioned in the first exercise.
- As you lift the arms high up, you will move them side-to-side together while still pulling the band. People with arthritis can also do pilates.
3. Bra Fat Burners
- Bend forward so that your upper body is parallel to the floor. Now, you bend the elbows as if you are shaving your back. Such exercises are called back shavers.
- You need to make sure that your elbows and arms are tied to each other. You are not supposed to open your elbows even though your body would want to open as this is a tough exercise.
This exercise is very effective but also difficult to perform as it challenges the core.
4. Over and Behind the Head
Stretch the arms above the head and pull it behind the neck without pushing the head forward. Try to pull your arm while resisting to put the head forward.
NOTE: If you have neck or shoulder issues, you must do these slowly and gently.
5. Plank and Push-Up
- Go in the plank position, take one arm back and go back to the plank position. It is almost like doing triceps extension while in a plank position.
- If the plank position is too low for you, you can also do it in the push-up position. You can also do this with a small dumbbell.
These are five pilates exercises suggested by Pilates expert Vesna Jacob. If you are willing to get rid of the back fat or bra fat, make sure to practice these daily. These will activate the muscles and tone the back.
Read More Articles in Exercise & Fitness
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.