Oats is one of the grains which is denser with soluble fibre beta-glucan and also gluten-free. The Fiber content of oats increase the intestinal transit time and reduce glucose absorption and keeps the blood sugar under control. The beta-glucan content of the oats also acts as a lipid-lowering agent and reduce cardiac disease. The Fiber content also helps for weight loss. Oats also contain a good amount of vitamin, minerals and they are rich in calcium and iron. Oats has anti-inflammatory effects it contains saponins which act as a natural cleanser. Oats helps in curing digestion problems including irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), diverticulosis, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), diarrhoea, and constipation. They are also used for preventing gallstones, colon cancer, and stomach cancer.
- Oats 150gm
- Oil 20 ml
- Urad Dal 2 gm
- Channa Dal 3 gm
- Mustard Seeds 1 gm
- Curry Leaves 1 gm
- Onion 15 gm
- Green Chili 1 no
- Carrot 20 gm
- Beans 20 gm
- Tomato 10 gm
- Coriander leaves 4 gm
- Turmeric Powder A pinch
- Peanut 10 gm
- Salt 10 gm
- Water 600 ml
Method of Preparation
View this post on Instagram
Running out of healthy breakfast options? Try our heart-friendly recipe - Oats Upma!�� This upma will keep you satiated and full for a long time! �� ��Download the HealthifyMe app for a customized diet plan. . . #healthifyme #healthyrecipes #breakfastrecipes #oatsupma #vegbreakfastrecipes #vegrecipies #recipevideos
- Dry roast oats for about 5 minutes in a wide pan. Set this aside to cool.
- Heat a pan with oil, add cumin, peanuts, mustard, chana and urad dal and fry till golden. Add chilli, curry leaves and fry till the leaves turn crisp.
- Add onions, chopped veggies and fry till they turn transparent. While the onions are frying, rinse the oats in a Strainer under running water.
- Drain up the entire water & add turmeric & coriander powder. Add the rinsed oats, sprinkle salt.
- Mix well, reduce the flame to low, cover and cook for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stirring occasionally till fully cooked. Add coriander leaves and lemon juice. Mix and serve.
Tip: If you are looking for some flavours in Oats upma you can add vangi bath powder, best bele bath powers which will give different taste from the regular one.
What Does an Oats upma Contain?
(With inputs from Ms Pavithra N Raj, Chief Dietician, Columbia Asia Referral Hospital Yeshwanthpur)
Read more articles on Healthy Diet