What are the first steps that you should take after suffering from an injury? Read this article as doctor explains injury first aid.
Injuries whether major or minor are a part and parcel of life. Everybody at any given point of time may get injured. But it all depends on how soon you bounce back from an injury. Here are a few tips from Dr. Tushau Prasad, Consultant- Emergency Medicine at Wockhardt Hospital, Mira Road, Mumbai to help you cope up with injuries. Read on to know more about this.
Injuries are often painful and bothersome. Anyone including athletes, the working population, children, or older adults can get injured owing to various reasons such as accidents, tripping, falling while playing a sport, while exercising, or even dancing. Though, the treatment may vary depending on the type and severity of an injury.
How to treat an injury
The road to recovery may be difficult if the injury is serious. But, here are a few steps one needs to immediately take after getting injured.
- Don’t ignore the pain: If you get injured then the golden rule is to pay attention to the signs given by your body. Don’t continue working with that pain. Doing so is a strict no-no. This can prevent a potential problem from developing in the near future. You should immediately consult the doctor if there is swelling or pain in any of your body parts.
- Rest: If you are dealing with an injury then it will be recommended for you to get enough rest. You must not go overboard. You will also have to get a sound sleep at night for minimum of 8 hours.
- Ice: immediately apply ice to the affected area to manage pain and swelling. This can be done from time to time. After applying a cold pack and when the swelling goes then apply a heating pad to the area where there is pain. Remember to place ice cubes in the towel and then apply it to the affected area instead f directly applying it.
- Compression: To seep up the healing process, you will have to opt for compression. Doing so will allow you to deal with inflammation in the area where the injury has occurred. You can use a bandage after consulting the doctor. But, see to it that the bandage is not tight. The signs of the bandage being tight are numbness, swelling, or pain. Hence, it should be loose. Do not wrap the bandage for long hours.
- Elevation: If you have injured your knee or an ankle then elevation can do the trick. This can help you to get rid of swelling. You will have to keep the area about your heart level to tackle swelling.
- Medication: In case of minor injuries, you can consult a doctor and take medication. But serious injuries will require immediate medical help.
- Learn from it: Injuries can be difficult to overcome and may keep aggravating but you will have to be aware of your body. That recovery will make you emotionally and physically stronger. You should help yourself through your own pain.
Tips to prevent head injuries
R.IC.E. principle is used in order to get rid of swelling, pain, and inflammation thereby speeding up your healing process.
R is for rest: You will immediately have to discontinue the activity you are doing and get enough rest. Moreover, avoid doing any activity that causes pain and soreness.
I stand for ice: Apply ice or cold pack for at least 20 minutes on the injured area to manage pain, inflammation, and swelling. But, do not apply ice directly on the skin. Place ice cubes in the towel and then use them.
C is for compression: Use an elastic bandage to wrap the affected area or the sore area with a bandage. Avoid wrapping the bandage too tightly. Also, consult your doctor about the type of bandage you must use. Doing so will help you reduce swelling.
E is for elevation: Try to elevate the injured area above the level of your heart in order to tackle swelling.
Read More Articles in Home Remedies
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.