How many days does it take for smoking cravings to go away? Ways To Quit Smoking In Morning
How many days does it take for cigarette cravings to go away? Congratulations readers! You have made your primary step towards a healthy lifestyle by quitting smoking. But, the first few weeks can be tough, especially at your regular smoking time of the day. If you are among the smokers, who take their first drag in the morning, and now find it difficult to quit, we got your back. Here are seven ways by Dr Jayanta Thakuria, Senior Consultant, Internal Medicine, Fortis Escorts Hospital, Faridabad in which you can quit smoking in the morning.
- Hydrate: 60% of the adult human body consists of water. Not getting enough fluids can drag down your mood and reduce your ability to concentrate. So, swap your first cigarette with a glass of lukewarm water. You can also add a lemon or lime wedge in it to add flavour and help you feel refreshed. This will also help you alter your routine and lower the urge of smoking.
- Exercise: Add exercise in your routine. Wake up a little early and go for a walk or a swim. This will increase circulation and help relax your body. Exercising daily can help squeeze fitness in your life. It helps improve both physical and mental health and reduce nicotine withdrawals.
- Breathe and relax: Every time you see someone smoking, or it is your regular smoking time, and you feel the urge to smoke, close your eyes and breathe in & out slowly and try to relax. Remind yourself you are not a smoker anymore.
- Just say ‘NO’: Every time you feel the urge to smoke, just say ‘no’. Remind yourself of all the reasons you quit smoking. Think of all the places you go in the morning, and place the stickers writing ‘no’ or ‘I am stronger than this’ or anything motivational. These places could be your kitchen counter, refrigerator, dining room, your car, or office desk.
- Shuffle your routine: Shuffling your method can help your mind think of other things than the usual smoking routine, and reduce the urge. If you are used to coffee, toast and cigarette in the morning; try orange juice, eggs and toast instead. If you usually eat in your bedroom, try eating in your living room instead.
- Music and mornings: If you are used to smoking while working, or while driving in the morning; try concentrating on other things like music. Music helps you in two ways. First, it steals your attention away from nicotine. Second, it will help you relax your mind. So, try playing some music and sing along, to alter your morning schedule and ease the urge of smoking.
- Reward yourself: Do not forget to appreciate yourself on the excellent work you are doing. Praise yourself for every cigarette you neglect. Start by every cigarette and then every day. Set targets for yourself. Give yourself rewards like a movie night, a date, a weekend with friends or a treat every time you achieve your goal. Look for the things and people who motivate you.
Read More in Mind-Body
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.