How to Remove Holi Colours from Your Skin
Removing Holi colours from skin can be difficult if you are not well prepared and if you do not know the right methods of removing the colours. Here are some easy ways to get nasty colours off your skin.
- Use cold water to remove the colours
- Use a mild soap and shampoo to clean your hair
- Apply moisturiser to the entire body immediately after a bath
Holi is the most colourful festival of India and everyone is smeared with all sorts of colours on the day. It is important that you prepare well in advance before revelling in the merriments of the day. With the wide use of chemical colours for celebrating Holi, you need to take some steps for preventing your skin and also know the correct methods of removing the colours.
You must wear comfortable and long clothes, i.e. those that cover your body as much as possible. Apply oil on your face, arms and the rest of the body. Use coconut oil, mustard oil or olive oil for this. The exposed body parts should be especially smeared with oil and perhaps with a double or a triple coating. This would allow them to be easily washed off.
Tips to remove colours after playing Holi
- First wash your skin with cold water and try to gently remove the colours by sliding them off as the oil applied beforehand would help in this. If you are not able to do so satisfactorily, rub sliced lemon over the skin to remove the stains. Lemon is a natural bleaching agent that is useful for getting rid of colour stains. Leave it for 15 minutes and apply plenty of moisturiser after that. Cleansers can also be used. Use lukewarm water to take a bath with mild moisturiser soap. Do not try to force clean the stains by vigorous rubbing as that can cause skin irritation and dryness
- If you want to remove oil paint from your face, mustard or coconut oil can be used. Use cotton to apply the oil on your face and rinse it off gently with both hands
- If you want to remove gulal or dry colour from your mind, never make the mistake of pouring water to wash it off. This only spreads the gulal all over your body and makes it stick. You need to try to dust away from the gulal by using dry hands first, and use water only when this does not work
- For washing the colour off your hair, use a mild herbal shampoo or a home-made one. Soak shikakai, reetha and amla or Indian gooseberry overnight, boil and strain it in the morning and you have a very good shampoo ready. If you had already applied oil to your hair before playing with colours, it would not be too difficult to wash the colours off
- In case you are having trouble removing colour from your hair, take one tablespoon of lemon juice and mix it in a cup of curd. Apply this mixture on your scalp and rinse it. Use herbal shampoo or home-made shampoo mentioned above to wash the mixture off
You could also use DIY face packs to remove stubborn cHoli colours from your skin. Some good options are:
Face pack for dry skin:
- 1 Tsp almond powder
- 1 Tsp honey
- 2 Drops lemon juice
- Little milk
Make a paste of all the ingredients and apply it your face. Let it stay for 20 minutes. Wet your hand with little water and try to rub off the pack from the face. This will make your skin soft and clean.
Face pack for oily skin:
- 1 Tsp Masoor Dal
- Dried Orange peel
- 1 Tsp rose water
- 2-3 Drops lemon juice
Make a paste of all ingredients and apply it to the face. When the pack gets dried, apply some water on your hands and then try to rub off the pack.
Remember to not wash your face again and again. This will make your face dry. Also, do not rub your skin with any rough and hard thing. This will make your skin itchy. Apply coconut oil with the help of cotton and ten try to remove the colours.
Top images source: Shutterstock
Read more articles on Festival Fever.
For more such stories, Download Onlymyhealth App.
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Feb 28, 2018
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.