How to Cure Allergies with Ayurveda
Ayurveda cures allergies by improving body's immunity and working on the accumulated toxins (.i.e. Ama).
According to ayurveda, it is believed that the primary cause of allergies in the body is the accumulation of toxins and low immunity. The improperly digested food, called ama and other chemical additives travel inside the body via the circulatory system and get lodged in the respiratory tissue, skin and other sensitive tissues. Therefore, if you are seeking a way to cure allergies with ayurveda, you can do so by detoxifying, strengthening the immune system and by modifying your diet.
How to Cure Allergies with Ayurveda
- Avoid heavy foods such as dairy, meats and nuts.
- Go for a hearty lunch and opt for a very light dinner.
- Drink plenty of warm water.
- Exercise daily. Try yoga breathing practices as they are very good for relaxing the mind and body.
- Allergies are worsened with intense stress. Stress causes disturbance in sleep which in turn aggravates the allergy. You must get adequate sleep to avoid allergies.
- Herbal oil massage enhances blood circulation in the body. This leads to the removal of chemical toxins which might be causing the allergy.
Certain seasonal allergies as per ayurveda are connected to the state of the earth at that time. During spring, when a lot of vegetables are being produced, you must eat plenty of vegetables and fruits to rid your body of the congestion and fats eaten during the winter months. Ayurveda further reasons that seasons trigger allergies due to ‘doshas’ that are involved. To find a treatment, it is important to determine the aggravated ‘dosha’. To cure allergies with ayurveda, you need to understand the three predominant types of allergies, each with its specific treatment plan:
- Vata types of allergies are caused due to dryness. Symptoms can be dry cough with dry phlegm, insomnia and anxiety. It gets worse in dry or windy environments and also during autumn. To seek relief, drink 4-5 cups of ginger root tea every day and inhale sesame oil 3-4 times a day.
- Pitta type allergies cause excessive heating such as burning eyes, rashes and loose stools. The condition usually worsens during summers. For prompt relief, you can inhale coconut oil 2-3 times in a day and drink neem leaf tea. After each meal, you can take a mixture of warm milk and half a teaspoon of turmeric powder to alleviate the allergy.
- Kapha allergies develop due to moist, humid conditions and worsen during spring time as the weather warms up. It shows up as cloudy or clear mucus production and slow digestion. For relief, drink a glass of warm water with half teaspoon of liquorice after every meal. Half a teaspoon of sitopaladi taken with honey thrice a day also soothes the symptoms. You should follow a liquid diet of liquefied fruits and vegetables once a week.
To cure allergies with ayurveda, focus on cleansing the body off the toxins and boosting the immune system. If the allergies last all year long, it is advisable to visit an ayurvedic practitioner for proper guidance and diet plan.
Read more articles on Ayurvedic Treatment
Source: Onlymyhealth editorial team Sep 27, 2011
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.