Wearing a face mask is necessary to prevent coronavirus but its long-term use can cause certain health effects including breathing issues.
Do you wear a mask when you are out of the house? We all should do this as this is probably the most important thing that we need right now after food and water. COVID-19 virus is in the air and it can get inside the body if you don’t mask your face. But a lot of people start to feel uneasy and breathlessness after minutes of wearing. Does this mean that masking is causing carbon dioxide poisoning? This is half true. This mask is for our safety and we must wear them when we’re out but there are certain things about face masks that we need to keep in mind. The most important of it all is wearing a mask when you are exposed to the crowd and open air. Take off your mask when you’re home. Long time wearing a mask does have its cons and therefore, we need to be watchful.
Health Dangers of Wearing a Face Mask
A face mask is a vital protective guard against coronavirus. We should learn to live with this in the future as well. But its long-time use can put your health to risk. It is better if used for a limited time or pulls it off in between to grab some fresh air or else it might cause these problems:
- You’d feel dizzy and weak
- You may suffer from breathlessness
- Hypercapnia or carbon dioxide toxicity which may lead to death in the worst case.
These problems may arise due to poor circulation of oxygen in the body. Mask does affect oxygenation as you aren’t inhaling the requisite amount of oxygen. Your body and brain don’t receive proper oxygen.
Important Points To Remember
The face mask which is your safety gear may end up taking your life if not used properly!
Here are some dos and don ts of wearing face masks that you need to consider.
- Wear it only when you in open-air spaces such as roads, parks, etc.
- Use it when sharing closed spaces with unknown people or crowded areas.
- Use it when you are to get close to someone for work.
- Wear it when you have a suspected member at home.
- Don't wear a face mask at home if none of the family members is suspected to have Coronavirus infection.
- Pull it off when you are in a safe outer space such as when you are inside your car with closed windows. This may cause choking.
- You need not use a face mask in self-isolation or self-quarantine situation.
Here are some measures that are taken in a hospital where patients are isolated. You may also practice these in daily life to stay safe.
- Sit in the sun for at least 30 minutes daily.
- Take Vitamin C-rich foods. You may also take vitamin capsules but only after doctor's prescription.
- Drink at least 2 liters water
- Avoid cold foods. Always warm a refrigerated food before eating.
- Take proper sleep of 7-8 hours.
Since the pH of Coronavirus ranges between 5.5 to 8.5, health experts suggest eating more alkaline foods to eliminate the virus. The best and readily available alkaline foods are:
Read More in Miscellaneous
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.