Walking is the best form of fitness according to health experts. Here are certain things you need to keep in mind before you start your walks to turn walking into the best workout exercise.
- To start with, consult a doctor and get yourself checked whether your overall health allows you for fitness walking. People having joint pains usually can't walk for long distances. After a thorough check-up, get geared up for the walk.
- Burn calories by slow walking. Walking slow for an exercise fitness plan causes your body to drag against gravity. This effect actually helps you to lose weight.
- After the desired weight loss is achieved you can maintain it and gradually move to a brisk or high intensity walk. Muscle mass will take the place of the saggy skin through toning. You'll begin to see the effects of what fitness through exercise can do. By participating in an exercise fitness course daily, and drinking lots of water your kidneys will flush out any bacteria. Also the heart will pump at a more efficient rate.
- Circulation to the lower leg extremities and feet with an exercise plan for fitness will improve. Whether you do a slow calorie burn walk, or one that has a quick upbeat walk. This benefit is really crucial especially for those with any disease that affects the feet.
- Clothing for walking exercise should be comfortable; check out for the fabric which is breathable and sweat-absorbent.
- The walking shoes should be comfortable and of the right fit. It is very important for fitness walking. A wrong fit of shoes may cause damage to your feet, knees, hips, joints and back. Invest in good shoes so that you enjoy walking without complaining any sort of pain in your feet or legs.
- Warm-up is very important before any exercise. So before you start walking, perform stretches and do light body movements as they will warm-up the muscles and reduce the possibility of getting sprains or injuries. It will make you ready for a cheerful walking session.
- Walk slowly for initial 2-3 minutes and then increase your pace for 2 minutes. Again slow down the speed for 2 minutes and further speed-up. This way, you will not get tired soon.
- Beginners should always remember that if they try to walk fast it will lengthen the stride (over striding). Over striding actually decelerates the walking pace. Though it will burn more calories, you will get tired very soon.
- Rather than over striding to walk faster, focus on a powerful push off while the front foot lands closer to the body.
- Ensure while walking that you walk heel to toe and not flatfooted to increase the speed. Touch the ground with your heel and roll the foot forward over the centre of your foot; push off with your toes.
- While walking, rotate your hips forward and backward. Your waist should twist as you walk. Walking is a good health tonic.
- Make sure to keep your torso upright. Leaning forward or back will slow down your speed.
- Keep your hands relaxed and elbows at an angle of 90 degrees. Keep you arms close to your body and swing them forward and back. Speeding up your arm swing will automatically increase your walking speed.
- Keep your shoulders and neck relaxed as you walk. Your head should be upright, while eyes looking forward.
- You can bring your upper body into your workout by simply pumping your arms. It is an easy way to burn more calories while walking. If you want to tone up, use arm muscles during your workout.
- During summer or when it is hot and sunny, don't forget to wear a hat with a brim and to apply sunscreen to exposed areas.
Read More On Exercise and Fitness
All possible measures have been taken to ensure accuracy, reliability, timeliness and authenticity of the information; however Onlymyhealth.com does not take any liability for the same. Using any information provided by the website is solely at the viewers’ discretion. In case of any medical exigencies/ persistent health issues, we advise you to seek a qualified medical practitioner before putting to use any advice/tips given by our team or any third party in form of answers/comments on the above mentioned website.